Friday, April 29, 2011

Happily Ever After ...

I was born less than a year before Diana Spencer, so I watched with great interest when she fulfilled every young girl's dream of marrying her Prince Charming and living happily ever after.

By the time Diana married Charles, my illusion of fairy tale endings had already been shattered. I had been married, had a child, divorced, remarried (the same man) and was struggling with the harsh reality of married life by that date in history.

I watched a young Diana on the television screen before me and I didn't see a princess. I saw a real, live girl facing not only marriage ... but life under a magnifying glass, as the entire world watched the story of Charles and Diana unfold before them.

I put myself in her place and wondered how their story would turn out.

Sadly, as one would have expected in true fairy tale fashion, their marriage didn't last forever. I quietly championed for her, as she made her way in her new world after their divorce.

In 1997, my own life had hit a personal crisis level. I sequestered myself into a dome of solitude and silence as I dealt privately with a health issue. My home life was spiralling out of control. I felt alone and desperate in my own world when Diana's life here on earth ended. I mourned her death as I continued to fight my way through the days.

Little did I know that two short months later, I would be on the path that has led me to this very day. Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse ... I started to see a ray of light. I have been following it ever since. Part of me died before I was reborn.

Today, another royal couple has pledged their solemn wedding vows in front of billions of people. This is a couple that (from all outward appearances) seems to have a very good chance at succeeding.

Kate is not a young, naive 20 year old girl. She is not marrying a man (almost) a generation older than her. The standards of the Royal Family Protocol have become more liberal. William has his mother's genes and he has learned much from both of his parents.

I still didn't watch a Prince marry his Princess this morning. I watched a mature, young couple with varying life experiences already under their belt make promises of 'forever' to each other.

I saw the hope of 'happily ever after' ...

No comments:

Post a Comment