Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I'm Doing It!

My 'Zumba Family' experiences continue to grow ...

Monday night is my two hour Zumba-fest of the week. Our instructor is second to none in every regard - she has it 'all'. She inspires, she 'does', she is young, vital and fun. She has many loyal students, but I am new to the fold.

I'm getting to know a few of the other ladies a little bit. It's easy to talk to people when you share the Zumba-passion. Bit by bit, you get to know a tiny little bit about the people that share the energy in the room.

After I mentioned that I had been studying, I was asked what course I was taking. And we were off and running. Talking about my aspiration to become a certified Group Fitness Instructor has been the catalyst of many conversations of late. I am always a tad apprehensive to tell people what I'm doing. I'm 50 years old. I have not been a fitness guru my whole life. Who do I think I am??? ... is the question that keeps coming to mind when I admit my goals to someone new.

These ladies that I talked to last night were beyond supportive. "I have wanted to do that for the last 10 years, but I never did" .... "It's inspirational to others to see someone who is 'not 25' (years old) leading a class"...

I continue to qualify my hopes, dreams and goals with the statement that "no matter where things go from here ... this is all good information to learn" and "I just keep taking one step at a time and I will see where this takes me". I continue to receive support and encouragement from those I talk to.

What has pushed me into this place that I have found myself? My son, whose words continue to resonate in my mind to this day. "Don't just say you are going to do something. Do it!!"

I'm doing it. Today's exam will take me to the 3/5 portion of things-to-do-to-become-certified. All I have to do is pass.

Zumba has propelled me in a brand new direction. I keep taking forward steps. I have a feeling that I am forging a brand new path that will take me places that I had never dreamed.

If the end result is simply that I have a healthier heart and body ... I will have succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment