Monday, February 7, 2011

Into Each Life, a Little Skepticism Must Fall

I wrote about the encouragement that I get from every corner of my 'world' a few days ago. Today? I'm not.

When I take steps out of the norm, it is not without much thought and reservation. Certainly, I can see that it must appear that I take leaps of faith at times. Appearances can be deceiving. I have looked before I leaped. Well?? There may be the odd time I didn't (when my heart was involved) ... but it all worked out for the best in the end.

There is a lot of silent thought (me? silent??) that has gone into the life-changing decisions that I have made.

Oh, the years that I longed to move back 'home'. Back to the province where I grew up. I was scared silly. I didn't have the courage. I had no idea how to make it become a reality. So when one of my sisters uttered the words, "You should move back 'home' " when I was making the final and end-all split from my husband ... I leaped. I've never looked back.

Another life-changing decision was made when I decided that I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom and raise My Youngest. The odds were all stacked against me. I was a single parent. I have always been the sole provider for my children and not fought for financial support. I gained a lot of my self confidence and social skills from my job ... how could I survive without the financial and social support of a full time job??

I quietly made a plan. Eventually I told a few people. Then I started moving towards my end goal. At one point, I talked to one person who was the only critic I encountered. If ever something made me more determined to make something work ... that was it! Twelve years have come and gone. Critic or not, I'd say that I showed 'em! I succeeded.

Yesterday was like rewinding the tape. New dream. Same nay-sayer. Different words. Same essence. Twelve years later ... I'm still chasing my dreams. I've lived, learned and tried new things. Twelve years later ... and my skeptic continues to point out all of the reasons of 'why not' to pursue those dreams.

Yes, I was ready for the skepticism, otherwise I would have kept my dreams tucked safely within myself and not taken the risk of being shot down.

My original plan was one of careful thought, consideration and the overall view that anything I do (whether the end result is as I plan or not), will benefit me personally. I shall continue to take those small, steady steps that could change my life. If I allow it.

I recognize those who quietly listen to me ramble about my aspirations, but don't verbalize their thoughts. They may not see what I see, but they do not taint my dream either. I 'hear' them. I appreciate the insight that they unknowingly bring to my life.

I was ready to be challenged. Because I know that I am on the right path. I can feel it in my bones. The end of my story may vary from what I have outlined in my mind. But I know this is the road I was meant to follow. I'll show 'em.

I cannot imagine a life where I allowed skepticism into my day-to-day world. Been there. Done that.

Embrace the skeptics in your life for the challenges that they help you overcome. And let them go.

No comments:

Post a Comment