Thursday, February 24, 2011

I Just Need Veggies and Sleep

As I was swooning with exhaustion one day (as I sat at the computer diligently trying to study), my frazzled fingers did a Google Search on "What foods to eat to fight exhaustion".

My search lead me to links on exhaustion. Hey! Maybe I was simply sick and there was a miracle pill which would cure me. I eagerly set out to find the answers to my fatigue.

I perused the list of possible causes of exhaustion and found: Liver Exhaustion; Kidney/Adrenal Exhaustion; Stress Exhaustion; and Exhaustion as a Result of Poor Diet

I clicked on each link and decided that my liver, kidneys, adrenal system and stress levels didn't appear to be the cause. Which left 'poor diet'.

To say that I have been living off of chips, chocolate and coffee the past while would not be a great exaggeration. Sure, I still have my morning smoothie which has three servings of fruit, fibre (ground flax) and milk. So I'm sustaining myself on a few healthy choices. But once the day is underway, I crave a quick fix. Preferably something that I can eat while I'm working/studying and requires zero preparation. Which takes me back to my 'Three C's'.

Add to this knowledge, the fact that I was at the 'Nutrition' chapter in my studies. It was coming at me from all angles. Dr. Google was telling me to eat better. I was reminded of the Food Guide recommendations of healthy eating. My mom was quietly suggesting that chips, coffee and chocolate were not the three basic food groups. Eventually, something had to seep through my caffeinated, foggy brain. Eat, girl ... eat!!!

My Oldest Son heard my plea (when I insisted that we must eat a home cooked meal on Sunday). He was very conscious of the fact that I had been stressed and studying all weekend and was quite insistent that we just go out for supper to make it easy for me. Eventually, he suggested that he would pick up some steak and barbecue it for supper. All I had to do was come up with a few side dishes.

My body was very happy to absorb some protein. In fact, I still felt a sense of fullness the next morning. Hmmm ... this healthy eating might be the answer.

Then real life collided with my new found knowledge (which to be honest, I knew all along) and I was back to the quick and easy method of eating to which I had become accustomed. When you feed your body garbage, it learns to crave it.

Which is why I stood in amazement yesterday in the grocery aisle, as I salivated over a vegetable salad which looked tastier than the three-pack of Pringles that I had just tossed into my cart. Mmmmm ... vegetables!

I tossed that into the cart (along with some store bought potato salad) and couldn't wait to sit down and feast when I got home. I loaded a medium sized plate with the garden salad, with a small helping of marinated vegetable salad and potato salad on the side.

As I savored the flavor sensations and textures, my body was doing a happy dance inside. I do believe that I fulfilled the Food Guide's recommendation of fruits and vegetables yesterday!

One would think that I would wake up with a surge of energy after such a boost to my digestive system. Then why am I still sitting here in my pajamas at 9:10 a.m.?

That would be because I am out of work and waiting for a call. If I must go into the shop to work, I will come home smelling like diesel. So the decision of when to shower is based upon knowing what is on my agenda for today.

I suppose that I should be cracking open my books and studying with a vengeance as I await the fate of my day.

It's just that I had high hopes that a few extra servings of vegetables and a good night's sleep would be a cure-all. I guess exhaustion can be treated with consistent source of healthy nourishment and sleep. Ambition, on the other hand is a whole different matter.

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment