Monday, January 17, 2011

Roads Less Travelled

I travelled down a familiar road this weekend. A road I have driven countless times before. A road that is very comfortable.

Armed with the security and assistance of my sisters, we made our way down this much travelled highway in winter conditions. Conditions that could change in an instant.

We were very fortunate that the highway was a busy one. Many others blazed the trail before us, so for the most part it was clear sailing.

Then there was the passing lane. The road less travelled.

Every once in a while, we would have to venture out onto this path. More often, others passed us. But every once in a while, a semi would pull into the passing lane and create a momentary white out.

All you could do, was take your foot off the gas and look down at the road to make sure the vehicle was between the lines.

Panic was not an option. Caution and using what we had to guide us, got us through the moment and eventually, to our various destinations.

This morning, I woke up to my familiar and comfortable life. I woke up to a new morning and looked at the road before me.

I shall continue to forge ahead on the comfortable and familiar path, but I'm choosing a new variation.

I'm choosing to go places that I have never gone before. But countless other souls have forged the way.

I have the option of turning around and never going down that road.

I can blaze my own trail or choose to utilize the support that is available each and every step of the way.

I can break my voyage into several manageable steps. Each step is beneficial and should I choose to stop at any point on this journey, I shall still be further ahead than if I had simply 'stayed home'.

When the going gets rough and I can't see beyond the moment that I am in, I know that all I have to do is slow down and look closely at what I have to guide me.

As it was, with my sisters along with me on that familiar road ... I know that I have quiet support and encouragement as I forge my way through my life.

There is always the option of pulling over to take a break. But eventually you must keep moving towards a destination. The destination may change. But it is vital to keep venturing out and forging your way.

Stepping out of your comfort zone brings you to new destinations. Even though outward appearances may not change, we can change the person we are by choosing the road less travelled.

No comments:

Post a Comment