Monday, January 31, 2011

A Patchwork Quilt of Wonderful

This past weekend was absolutely everything that I needed it to be.

The weekend was perfectly seasoned with family moments. Our family's Sunday Supper was moved to Saturday. It had a different flavor, but it gave me the chance to visit with My Oldest. My Youngest and I went to a movie yesterday afternoon - something we haven't done in ages, so it felt special. My Second Son has taught me that 'great conversations just happen ... they cannot be planned'. So I anticipate the next time we sit down and have a meeting of the minds. It will happen when it happens. But I know it will happen.

I spent time with friends, I talked on the phone with others and I wound up the weekend by going to a Zumba Dance Party with a friend who hadn't lived the 'Zumba Experience' before. That was followed by supper, a good visit and booking the last must-do items for our upcoming Alaskan Cruise.

I worked a little. By choice. I suppose that I should have been diligently logging as many hours as I could possibly squeeze in before the month-end payroll cut off date. But I worked a good week. I figured that anything I did on the weekend was 'gravy'. I didn't want the weekend to be all about work. I needed to make the most of the past two days. Though work is necessary, I won't let it dominate my world.

I had time. Time to sleep in a little bit (funny how much easier I find it to get up on the weekends, when I know that any lost time in the morning cannot be regained). Time to breathe. Time to relax. Time to sit back and simply feel that "Ahhhhhh ...." sensation.

The proof that the weekend was exactly what I needed it to be, is that I wasn't gorging myself on food at the end of the day for the past two evenings. It was a conscious decision. When I started feeling the urge to satiate the 'hunger' within, I went to bed. I must train myself to sleep when I am tired ... not eat!!

The balance that was restored to my being, this weekend is evident in the way I feel this morning. I feel rested, revitalized and eager to face the week ahead.

The weekend was everything I needed and wanted. It is a sad truth that (as quoted from "Tron: Legacy") "Sometimes life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes." I was scrambling for a pen in the darkness of the theatre to write down those words. They spoke to me.

It is my hope that people do take the time to fulfill those wants and hopes. That is what dreams are made of. When you lose the ability to dream, part of you withers away and dies. Keep the dream alive. Keep making time to fulfill your heart's smallest desires.

The weekend was a patchwork quilt of wonderful. It restored my ability to aspire to be 'more' of who I hope to become. It has renewed my spirit and filled me full of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment