Monday, January 24, 2011

"I Could Be Your Mother!"

I'm not saying that I feel old. I'm just saying that it feels like half of the people I meet these days, could be my children.

This knowledge should have kicked in when I ran my daycare. But since My Youngest was a baby when I began that career, I felt more like a peer with my young parents. We were raising children the same age. It kept me feeling young.

Then I met a mom who went to the same school, at the same time as My Oldest. I think it was then that the cold, hard truth hit me. "I could be your mom", I declared. I was more surprised than anyone (I'm quite certain that she looked at me and thought, "Well, duh (obviously)!!"

Lately, I've been having such fun trying out new and wonderful things. Zumba, Bellyfit, Salsa ... and though I walk into each class wondering if I will be the oldest, I cheerfully find out that I'm not. And then I forget all about ages. I feel the same age as the rest of the class.

That's what I love about the classes with no mirrors. You look around the room and see youth and vitality. You feel that reflected back to you when you talk to people. I'm quite certain that my inner view of myself is about ten years younger because I find myself surrounded by those much younger than I.

Then there was this weekend.

Our First Aid/CPR class was a class of 17. As we started to get to know each other, I discovered that of those that sat closest to me, a few were a year younger than My Oldest. Another was a year older than My Second Son.

These 'young things' were quick. They learned quickly. They finished their chapter end questions in record time. I learned much later that they were working on these questions while we were being taught the lesson at hand. By the time I caught onto their tricks and did the same, it was the last chapter. And we never were required to answer those questions.

The lightning speed at which these young brains worked pushed me harder. A lot of them were in university. The girl who 'set the bar' for me was just finishing her sixth year. She was an achiever. I looked at her and wondered if I could have ever been anything like her.

The second morning of our classes, I came upon a group from our class. As I approached them, they said, "We are just talking about age ...". I was eager to hear what they had to say.

As it turned out, the few other 'mom-like' figures felt exactly as I did. We were dazed and in awe of what our younger counter-parts were capable of learning. I was not alone.

I came home and talked to my adult children about my experiences with these 'kids' that were the ages of my own children. They smiled knowingly, as if to say "... and this is news to you??"

When did the rest of the world grow up? How can I hold onto a piece of that youthfulness without looking like a 50 year old who's trying to act 20?

I think I shall continue doing what I'm doing. I am going to continue to nurture my 'younger self'. I hope that finds me in a room full of people of all ages. I aspire to look at those who could be my children and remember what it is like to be their age. But most of all? I shall continue to learn.

I believe that learning is key. When I felt my brain reacting sluggishly to all of this new information, it made me want to change that. I need to exercise my brain so that it can continue to grow.

To grow old is one thing. Your body has a mind of its own. But your mind ... it is one muscle that can be worked out no matter what else your body has in mind. At least it can if we are lucky.

I hope to be one of the lucky ones. If I take care of the most important muscle of my body, it is my goal to continue to be surprised that I am ten years older than I think I am.

"Sure, I could be your mother. I'm glad. I never want to forget what it is like to be you."

No comments:

Post a Comment