Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Happy Birthday, My Friend

I have a friend who has many gifts and talents. One of those many talents, is knowing people so well that she can take a 'nothing' day and turn it into a gift.

My Friend draws little or no attention to herself. She's a little dynamo that knows how to draw out the best in people. She is beyond perceptive and looks far below the surface and discovers each person's special gifts. And she acknowledges them. 

I'll never forget the first time that I received a hand written note from her. She wrote individual cards to a group that she was training (I was one of the ten (?) in that group). I didn't know that she would become My Friend at that time. I read the words she wrote and I was surprised. I was quiet in those days. I didn't speak unless I was spoken to. I didn't contribute to our class discussions. How she could see what was lying dormant within me was astounding. I believe that she is directly responsible for helping me become who I was all along. And she does this for everyone.

My Friend has compassion that is far reaching and has touched many. She quietly just does what needs to be done. She sees a need and she fills it. She isn't looking for public praise and acknowledgement. She is simply a good citizen to each person that crosses her path.

She walks into a room and sees more than a nameless people. She sees personalities and quiet 'needs' within those who may be alone in a room full of people. She engages people in conversation and you see them light up before your eyes.

She takes care of others. She has her own quiet battles but selflessly turns the other cheek to those and takes the energy she does have and uses it for the better good.

It is no surprise that her parents are amazing and wonderful people. I have felt 'adopted' by her family each and every time I have walked into their home. Her parents gave selflessly of themselves and raised an incredible family. And my friend finds it an honor and a privilege to be able to help take care of her parent's needs as their health has faltered.

Today is My Friend's birthday. My words cannot begin to describe My Friend. But I have tried. To paraphrase why, I have used a comment that my friend made when I blogged about birthdays:

"Funny thing about those birthdays ... some people like the attention and others would rather not have anything focused on them, and some say one way when they really mean another. We try to look at it as a celebration day - not necessarily a birthday but a day to honour the individual - could be any day for that but just easier to pick a birthday so we know everyone gets honoured. We really should honour the people in our lives as much as some people all these unknown actors, music stars, public figures, etc ..."

My Friend, this is your 'Celebration Day'. May you feel peace within, as you deal with whatever life has in store for you. Today and all the days that follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment