Saturday, October 2, 2010

Off to See My Sisters

One of the biggest benefits of living where I do, is the close proximity to my sisters. I feel nestled among my family - with one sister an hour and a half to the east of me; my other sister an hour and a half to the north; and my mom and brother five hours to the west. I feel snug and cozy here in the 'middle'.

I knew of other family members that lived in Our New City when we first moved here ... but I didn't know them. It was a great consolation to me, to know that I could just run out to have coffee with one of my sisters when I was adjusting to our new life here. I didn't do it. But I knew that I could.

What happened instead, was the accidental tradition of our (more or less) Annual Sister Supper &/or Sleepover. Sure, we cross paths for various reasons throughout the year ... but that 'sister time' has become something we all anticipate and enjoy.

Life is busy and the annual tradition isn't always a given. We recently took a spur of the moment trip to see our mom and it was fantastic. So really, we weren't 'due' for a Sister Sleepover any time soon.

But ... I have been having a bad hair year and an idea was born.

I believe I have hair like my older sister. Her daughter-in-law is a hairdresser and my sister always has an easy 'wash and go' hair style. That is exactly the kind of cut I'm looking for. So I emailed my sister to see if her daughter-in-law would be interested in taking on my hair.

Long story short, we are having a Sister Makeover Day in my Northern Sister's fair city today. We are all getting our hair done. I suggested we do nails and go for an entire 'girly girl' kind of day (I even invited our brother to join us but he had some lame excuse about running low on hair and wasn't keen on experimenting with what remains) but I think (the nails) idea was vetoed. But none the less, we are going to go 'get pretty' ... maybe hang out at the mall ... do lunch ... and fill the hours in between lunch and supper with Sister Fun.

It's sure to be a fun and interesting day. If you hear the echoes of laughter within your soul today, think of The Three Sisters ... it's probably us that you 'hear'.

No comments:

Post a Comment