Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Car

I am not a car person. When I was a teen, I think I remember my dad asking me what kind of car I liked (this seems like an odd memory to have so I'm not sure if it's mine). But I do remember after being asked that question, I started looking at the cars around me. I finally decided that a Camaro was the car that caught my eye.

Since that time, I have had a 1965 Plymouth Fury; a Dodge van; another 1965 (Chevrolet??); a Ford Tempo; a (?) station wagon; another Ford Tempo; a few forgettable cars as I went through a stage of buying cars without the help of my brother-in-law-car-salesman. For the past 12 years, I have driven an Olds Achieva.

My wish list for a car has moved up a notch or two in the past 23 years. The first time my brother-in-law asked me what I wanted in a car I replied, "Four doors, a radio and reliable enough to get me back and forth to The City I Used to Live In".

It was quite some time after that, that I finally took notice of cars. A nice interior, good speakers (so you could crank up the radio), enough power to pass a car on the highway and no rust were features that I appreciated in the cars that followed.

I have bought a few cars from my brother-in-law ... each of them basically chosen for me. All I had to do was (take out a loan) sign a cheque and drive it home. My sister would give the car her nod of approval before my brother-in-law showed it to me. It's the way I like to shop for everything. Just go in and buy it without thinking.

My car has been very good to me the past 12 years. But it is nearing 17 years of age. It should be in a retirement home. But instead, it reliably takes me where ever I want and need to go. I've travelled a lot of miles in that car. It has seen me through many life events. I still like my car. My eyes don't wander. I am faithful.

It must be the fact that my car is aging, but my thoughts have been drifting towards the idea of having to find a replacement one day. I still haven't been looking at other cars ... just thinking.

Then I saw it. The car of my dreams. It drove right up in my driveway and I only saw the back end view of it. But I'm in lust.

Look at that view! That is all I needed to see ...

I am sometimes a major annoyance to my Middle Son. He has a truck and therefore he is the one I call when I need something larger than a suitcase (exaggeration here, but I'm sure this is the way he feels at times) hauled from Point A to Point B. When I saw what this car could do with all the seats folded down? I was in love.

I know nothing about these cars. I doubt I'd recognize one if it was staring me in the face. I only saw the rear view and I liked what I saw.

The reason I am writing about this today?

It's because I believe that my fairy godmother must read my blog. One day, I am going to have to go back through the archives and record all of my wishes that have come true.

I think this happens all of the time, but because a person doesn't normally write down their (many) meandering thoughts you don't realize how often it actually occurs.

But yesterday, I got a call from someone. This person has never called me before. It was in direct response to a recent blog. There is no way in the world that this person would have read what I wrote. Yet the phone call was as if they had. The conversation unfolded exactly the way I visualized it.

I believe that there is truly something to the idea of visualizing the way you want your life to unfold. I don't think the result is a Twilight Zone type of experience, but I do think that our subconscious thoughts are powerful. You draw experiences and results into your life by what you think, feel and believe.

After this conversation, I walked downstairs and declared to my Middle Son. "I believe that I will get the Matrix that I am dreaming of. Because all of my wishes are coming true."

Thus, Blog Fairy Godmother (or Father or Angel or Whom/What Ever You May Be) ... I am dreaming of driving a Matrix. I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment