Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Living the Possible Dream

I have dug out some writing assignments from a writing course that I took 10 years ago. The title of this one (written August, 2000) captured my interest:

I am living my possible dream.

It took the quietening of the life around me to hear my voice from within ...

Meditation comes in many forms. I found walking alone and working outside induced unconscious thoughts to the surface. The thoughts that provided me with the most clarity and insight often came to me in the first waking moments of the day.

Listening to that inner voice (without quietening it or justifying all the reasons to ignore it), was the toughest and most important step I took to change my life. At first, I simply listened.

The next step was to say it out loud. It began with "I wish ..." and "If only ..." statements. Eventually, those wistful thoughts became the realization that there is a voice inside of me just screaming to find a way to make this work. I voiced this revelation to supportive and encouraging friends. The only feedback I got was positive. I purposely avoided telling anyone that would offer negativity at this point.

Then, the reality check. I sat and listed every pro and con, financially and personally. I listed any and all conceivable ways to make this work. Putting ideas, goals and budgets to paper gave me a vision. This vision evolved into how I must reorganize my lifestyle to accommodate the plan I was formulating. I sat down and wrote out my 'mission statement'. I visualized my new reality. I saw it, I heard it and I felt it. I could picture my success.

Research came next. I checked into all options, back up plans and applicable  legislation's. I talked to people who were doing what I aspired to do, to hear their first hand experiences, to get an idea if my idea was financially feasible and if there was a demand for the services I wanted to offer (in this case, it was opening up a daycare in my home so that I could be a stay-at-home-mom). I checked into insurance coverage, my savings account balances to see how long I could sustain an unknown income. Then, I gave myself a trial period of two months to give it my best shot.

At last, I was ready to move forward. I placed an ad in our paper offering my service, made physical changes in our home to reflect my goal. With a firm conviction that I could succeed, I 'sold' myself and my services. Within my two month deadline, I was well on the road to success.  The two month trial period was extended to a year. In the months that preceded the end of the year, my mind was once again in a state of indecision. Back to step one ...

I was 'tested' with dry spells, where my bills exceeded my income. All that did was encourage me to diversify my income sources. I took in a boarder. I returned to my prior place of employment one day a week. I asked for some child support for my children. I believe these obstacles were put in my way to test my conviction to succeed. At one point, a person bluntly told me that my decision not to return to my previous job was wrong. This opinion didn't sway my belief in the slightest. It was then, that any doubts I had were alleviated. I was certain that I was headed down the right path.

My contentment comes from within. I am living the possible dream!

Writing a sidebar for publication was also part of this assignment. Here is the short version of the above:

How to Follow Your Possible Dream
  • Listen to your inner self - your heart's desire
  • Give your dream a voice
  • Put all ideas/thoughts/dreams/plans to paper
  • Research the viability of your dream
  • Visualize/physically make changes to reflect your goal
  • Plan to succeed
  • GO FOR IT!
  • Be prepared to run into obstacles. Plan to overcome them
  • KEEP tuned in to your inner self; recognize signs signalling unrest from within
  • Continue to pursue your possible dreams
This outline has been one I've followed through every life changing decision I've ever made.  It's my own personal formula for living out my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment