Sunday, September 26, 2010

Joy

Things feel a little more special when you have to work for it.

This past week, I fought hard to regain some equilibrium in my life. It came easy for a few days, I lost the battle one day, I struggled through a day but in the end ... I won. The day that I waged my own internal war and came out on top was the best day.

The past week and a half, I have been part of a dance formation team. We had 10 days and 6 dance lessons to learn our routine and be ready to perform it for the judges yesterday afternoon. New partners, new dance moves, being part of a team, knowing your own part and creating a 'oneness' within a group of 18 people has been a challenge.

It's been overwhelming, invigorating, frustrating and fun. I have gone from feeling like I'm in way over my head ... to the 'I think I can' mode ... to actually feeling like I got it ... then lost it ... and found it again.

Our instructor has been thinking forward and implanted visions of our success right from our first lesson. He has accidentally purposely imprinted the picture of us on that stage throughout.

When the official audition day was upon us and we went through our routine for the judges, I was fairly confident that we made a good impression. Did I have doubts? Yes. Was I certain we would get chosen? Sort of. Did I know how I would feel when I got the official word that we were selected? Not a bit.

Our dance team has been chosen to perform at "Ballroom With a Twist".

Was I elated? I was over the moon! I had no idea how good it would feel to know we were 'in'. I felt complete and utter joy. The joy was accentuated because we had to work for it.

Whether it's attaining a specific goal ... climbing your own personal mountains ... struggling through a crisis ... or simply getting through the day ... look for and appreciate your own personal joyful moments every chance you get.

I felt my inner child shine through as I allowed myself to savor and lose myself in those moments of joy

"Joy does not simply happen to us. We have to choose joy and keep choosing it every day."
~ Henri Nouwen

No comments:

Post a Comment