Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Energy Levels = Zero

Does expending energy = acquiring more energy? Does sitting idle = zero energy levels? Do I sit here and write about it ... or should I actively seek out some energizing activities?

I finally noticed how slow and sluggish I have become while I was dancing with a young, vital and highly energetic young man last Thursday. I felt old for the first time of my life. I used to have energy. Where did it go??

My days used to be fully committed. I woke up early to exercise because there was no other time of the day to work it in. I used to have hair that didn't require an extra half hour to tame into something that didn't take on a 'mad scientist' appearance.

At one time, by 6:30 a.m. I had either exercised or finished delivering papers; had a quick shower; eaten breakfast ... and often, I had soup/lunch entree or some type of baking all ready to start whipping up before my daycare charges started arriving.

I was frustrated those days because I was tied to the house. My days were ruled by other people's schedules. I took that excess energy and spent it on the house. I cleaned, I was organized and I puttered. A little bit every day. Little did I know at the time, I was slowly moving mountains.

My daycare days often didn't end until 6:00 p.m. The last half hour of that day felt endless. I had things to do, places to go and even if I didn't, I had my own agenda within our home. I didn't stop at 6 o'clock.

Now? I am usually still in bed at 6:30 a.m. Showers in the morning? They ruin my day. Because spending an hour fussing with my hair/makeup/overall appearance takes too much time and energy. If I don't shower at night, it doesn't bode well for the way the next day unfolds.

Once again, I am tied to my responsibilities. I don't stray too far from home when there is work to be done. The challenge is to squeeze my work into the hours between 8 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. It usually doesn't work out that way.

My evenings? When I am not working or dancing ... I am sleeping. I can easily fall asleep at 6:30 p.m.; nap all evening; sleep all night; and I'm still tired at 6:30 the next morning. Why??

I am considering enrolling for some dance/fitness classes in the evening. Zumba, Belly Fit, a F.I.T. (Fundamental Intensive Training) class have piqued my interest.

What would this do for my sanity levels when I need to work evenings to make up for hours lost during the day? Would it inspire me to get up earlier to ensure that didn't happen? But the big question ... would this energize or deplete me??

I'm not sure of the answers to these thought provoking questions. But the time has come to do something. I'm tired of being tired all of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment