Tuesday, August 17, 2010

This ... Is Why I Wanted to Work From Home!

The last week has been a busy one.

I've been gallivanting south, west and east of My Fair City. I've been able to partake in 'life' with friends and family. I've been (or trying to be) a vital member of my own family. I've been present and available for all of the opportunities presented to me.

I have worked full time since I was 18 years old. I took two, 4 month hiatuses when I had my last two children. I have taken vacations. I have taken a leave of absence from work (so that I could work). I have worked two or three jobs at a time.

In my previous daycare-career, my days were long and highly committed. But I got a lot done while I was 'stranded' at home. It was the first time in my working life, that my house was fully under control.

The past month, I have been struggling to find a way to make this bookkeeping-from-home work for me. It's been a challenge to work and not allow the distractions of life lead me astray. It's been frustrating not to be able to clean the house, make meals, pick weeds, write a book/cards/letters or return emails in the spare moments of my work day.

I have been calling this The Summer of Transition. It has not been without its perks and pitfalls. Finding a way to pay the bills on my new wage has been overtaken my thoughts for weeks on end. The struggle between knowing when to work and knowing when to pack it in has been on-going.

But this past week, I have been able to be a part of my mom's visit 'back home'. During her visits for all of the decades prior to this, it seemed that she felt guilty for taking up my time because my work drained the life out of my soul.

This time? I have had the ability to chauffeur her here and there. I have had the time to sit and smell the roses with her. We have enveloped my family into this visit ... I have seen both of my sisters in the past week because of Mom's visit ... I have visited an aunt ... I have heard and relived the 'adventures' of Mom's holiday with her as she has been eager to recall the memories of this past week.

I have had time and flexibility to choose my own work schedule this week. I have been able to put family first. It is a decision that I will never regret.

As I look back on this past month and the inner turmoil that I have been experiencing as I get myself into a new groove, it is with a giant sigh of serenity that I can say: "This ... is why I wanted to work from home!"

No comments:

Post a Comment