Saturday, August 21, 2010

These Are the Days!

I can look back on any day of the recent past and know without a doubt that it was a day well spent. Yesterday was another ...

My goal yesterday? Work, work and work some more. My reality? Work with perks.

By 8:30 in the morning, I had my work set out before me. Goals set. Priorities in line. It was going to be a good day.

By 8:45, my Middle Son asked me out for coffee. I hesitated a millisecond and said, "Sure!!"

We were back home by 9:45 and I immediately returned to my work which was exactly where I had left it and I was ready to pick from where I had started.

Fifteen minutes into my second attempt to work, the phone rang. It was my 'Sister Friend' from a lifetime ago. We talked, talked and talked some more. We didn't quite solve the world's problems, but we are working on a few. It was a most excellent conversation that takes me back to a happy time when I 'adopted' this sister when I lived so far away from my inherited sisters.

By 11:00, I was back to work. Then the phone rang. I was starting to feel deflated. Such big plans and life was intercepting them at every turn. I looked at the call display to discover that it was my 'boss' calling. It was work related and I was still on the clock. We are feverishly working on tying up year-end and we are ever-so-slowly pulling into the lead.

I hung up the phone and was back at it. I received and made several work-related calls in the 6+ hours that followed. But the task that I had set out before me was completed yesterday. I wrapped up one section of what has to be done for year-end and it balanced. To the penny. I was so excited that I had to call and leave my boss a message. There are few people who can feel the thrill that I do, when I tie up one more job that must be done in this bookkeeping world. And my boss is one of them.

I had another project to turn my energy towards when I completed the first. I was on a roll, so I continued to work.

It was at some point right around this time, that my Second Son and I decided that we would go out for supper. We picked one of our new favorite places to dine, called My Oldest Son and asked if he'd like to join us. My Youngest was thrilled to be playing a new X-Box game (it has taken him over a year for him to convince me to let him buy it), so he was more than happy to have me whip him up some nourishment and I doubt that he even noticed that we were gone.

Our supper was delicious, the conversation flowed easily. We talked about family issues and it seems that we are all on the same page (or pretty close). As the words were volleyed around the table, we were united. My little family feels like a strong, cohesive unit. Impromptu visits like this make me smile inside. A year ago, this would have never happened.

As if the day wasn't already good enough, I returned home to a message from another friend that I hadn't heard from in a very long time. We talked for hours. It was the perfect end to a perfect day.

Balance.

I connected with friends, I nourished my own family ties and I had the satisfaction of seeing a work project through to the end. I took time for the unexpected bonuses that yesterday had to offer and still accomplished all that I wanted to do.

Days like these are the reason that I have chosen to work from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment