Monday, August 23, 2010

Does it Take Longer to Clean Real Dirt ... or Imaginary Dirt?

I used to devote Fridays to my household chores. I probably spent at least an hour (if not two) dusting, cleaning, washing, scrubbing, watering plants, scouring bathrooms, shaking mats, washing floors, etc, etc, etc.

I used to vacuum each and every day (at least once, sometimes more). I used to wipe down my couch and love seat on a daily basis ('nose juices' from my daycare days initiated that routine).

I used to be obsessive/compulsive about keeping on top of my household chores.

Then ... I stopped babysitting and started working full time at bookkeeping from my home.

There is no time to dust while I work. There are no little breaks in the day to squeeze in my old daily cleaning routines.

Granted, the house isn't as dirty as it used to be with 5 - 8 kids running at large five days out of seven. But ... dirt happens.

The last time this house has seen a good cleaning was oh ... let me guess ... June 25th. Almost two months ago.

Since that time, I have swept/vacuumed/wiped and swiped. I haven't devoted any more time than absolutely necessary to house work. The plants are looking out the window at greener pastures and longing for a better home because of the drought conditions under their present roof.

I figure that I have probably saved at least 25 hours in cleaning time.

Yesterday ... I cleaned. Real dirt. You could actually see where I had dusted. The hair balls running at large on the laminate flooring have finally been captured within the confines of the vacuum cleaner.

I spent at least two hours cleaning.

Hmmm ... 2 hours verses 25 hours. Real dirt is much faster to clean. Why didn't I learn this sooner???

No comments:

Post a Comment