Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Dirty Laundry

I can't help but reflect on my daycare days a lot lately. My life has made a 360 degree turnaround since that time ...

Back in the 'old' days, I was around kids, food, dirt, vomit, runny noses and dirty diapers. We spent a lot of time outside. At the end of the day (and sometimes half way through), my clothes were dirty. Really dirty.

These days?

I am inside all day. I sit at the computer and type. I stand at the table and file. I wear comfy clothes because sitting too long in restrictive jeans is very uncomfortable. At the end of the day, my clothes are still clean. Lightly used. Heavens! I don't even sweat any more!!

In the past, I have always been the only one who tended the outdoor work. Cutting grass, pulling weeds, shovelling, maintaining, you name it ... I did it.

This year?

My Middle Son has taken over the lawn care. I don't work up a sweat as I listen to the lawn mower go by the living room window. I don't get dusty, dirty, bug infested ... I don't work up a sweat.

Then there was this past Sunday.

I cleaned. I was down on my knees cleaning. I was rummaging around the garage. I looked down and my pants were dirty. Really dirty!

At the end of a productive and fulfilling day, I tossed my dirty clothes in the laundry basket. It was evidence of a day well lived.

Airing my dirty laundry in a public venue is something my mom wouldn't recommend. But in this case? It felt kinda good.

No comments:

Post a Comment