Saturday, July 17, 2010

Triggers

I have a lot of little 'inside tricks' that set the tone for my days.

Locking the door and closing the blinds at the end of my 'Daycare Day' was the first time that I noticed the rituals that I subconsciously created within my mind. That small but powerful signal to my brain signified that I was closed for business.

I create the tone for each and every day by the small things that I do when I wake up.

If I need to be conscious of time or routine, I'll put on my watch. If I want to create a day of leisure, I leave my watch on the bathroom counter.

The kitchen blinds are opened as soon as I work my way to the kitchen to make coffee and my morning smoothie. Opening the kitchen blinds signify that I'm up and ready to face the world.

If I want a day to myself, the living room blinds stay closed (okay, they also stay closed to keep the excessive heat from the sun out of the living room). If I'm really in a funk, the kitchen blinds remain shut as well.

Coffee = break time; friendship; conversation; stimulation. Is it the taste of coffee that I enjoy? Or is it what it triggers in my mind?

Climbing into my pj's is my own personal celebration of the end of another day. No matter what kind of day I have had, there is a peace that washes over me when I slip into the clothes I will wear when my head hits the pillow.

As I enter a new phase of my working life from home, I'm eager to set some new triggers that will inspire and motivate my subconscious mind into a 'Day Well Spent'. It's only been two days into this new full time work from home venture. I'm eager for this new life to become routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment