Wednesday, July 21, 2010

One Page at a Time

Question: "How do you write a novel?"
Answer: "Write one page a day ..."

The undertaking of organizing the family history memories that I have collected to date feels onerous at times. Because I didn't keep up with it as I went along.

I have notepads full of transcribed conversations. I have masses of reference material from various sources. I have photocopied information. At the moment, I am in the process of putting it all together.

I feel like a child who is placed in the middle of a room full of toys and clutter, that I have been told to clean up. Shoving things out of sight is not the answer. Finding the correct spot for all that has accumulated is what I need to do.

I have been tackling the mess that I have created. A day here and a day there. Yesterday, I worked at it until the phone rang and I had paid work to contend with.

This morning, I have a minimum of two days of bookkeeping work waiting to be done. The family history project will be put to the side once again.

But then ... I read a blog this morning that told me what I needed to hear. "Write one page a day ..."

Writing anything is better than writing nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment