Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Movie on Any Day But Sunday ...

I took advantage of the flexibility in my 'new life' to invite My Youngest to see a movie yesterday afternoon. He hasn't done much throughout the summer vacation so I thought this was a way to get both of us out of the house, breath some new air and chat a little as we drove to and from our destination.

Due to road construction and pre-rush hour traffic, we had much more time to chat than I had originally intended. Our (usual) 20 minute drive took 40 minutes. Much of the excess 20 minutes was spent saying "Oh no! I should have taken a different route" ... or a count down until movie time.

The movie choices were "Marmaduke" or "Shrek". Personally, I would have chosen "Shrek" but I was okay with either option. They were both awarded '3 Stars' by the local movie goers. My Youngest chose "Marmaduke" and since our trip to the theatre took an extra 20 minutes, we would have been late for "Shrek". "Marmaduke" it was ...

I wasn't expecting much from this movie. But it was so much worse than I had imagined. My Youngest was not impressed ... possibly if he had been four years old, there would have been some value. Then again, if he had been an infant he would have slept right through it and enjoyed it just as much. It was bad.

We didn't have to rush home, so we decided to follow through pre-ordering a video game that My Youngest wanted. It was quick and easy ... until I asked the selling price after our transaction was complete. It was going to end up costing almost $13.00 more than it would cost to order it over the Internet. We could have saved our time by calling first. So we cancelled the order and we were back to where we started before we walked in the door.

I suggested that we stop and have supper at the mall or else pick something up to take home. Neither of us were very hungry after snacking on popcorn at the movie, so when My Youngest suggested New York Fries, it sounded perfect. In no time, our fries were ready and we decided to eat them in the car on the way home. Bad choice. The fries were undercooked and just bordered on being edible. They were soggy, grease laden and just ... not good. But we were already headed home when we discovered this, so we couldn't easily go back to ask for some properly cooked fries.

It was the most unperfect end to an unperfect afternoon.

I spent almost $30 to watch a very bad movie, snacks (the popcorn was good) and soggy fries. I could have stayed home to work and earned $45.00 in that same time frame (Note: I did my work in the evening instead ... you've gotta love that flexibility!).

It seems that almost any time we try to see a movie on any day other than Sunday, we end up with this kind of result.

A movie on any day but Sunday ... just isn't the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment