Thursday, July 1, 2010

Making Room For the New

My Middle Son did me the huge favor of cleaning out the garage. I gave him free reign.

I have a very hard time letting go of things that I think that I just may need again one day. More often than not, when I go through the house, what I do is shuffle my belongings.

I tidy things up, bring forward the items that I use all of the time and store the less used items in another spot.

I throw away a little, I donate a little and I sell a little. But I keep a lot.

My Son is not the same as me. When he cleans ... he cleans out. I knew the garage needed that. I closed my eyes and let him go. He tried to explain what he was doing and why, but I had to just let it go. Trust him. Trust that he knew what had to stay.

He did a wonderful job. The garage is completely decluttered and it feels amazing.

He also cleaned out the playhouse and sorted through the masses of toys that I have out there from my daycare 'career'. I look at the shelves of toys in that playhouse. I look at the spare bedroom that is filled to capacity with toys. There are high chairs and playpens lined up in the basement. There are toys in the shelving unit in the living room.

Then there is my bedroom closet. Yet another Pandora's Box that I dare not open until I'm fully rested. It is full of things that I just don't seem to want to let go of.

I thought of what I had read about needing to clean out the old, to make room for the new. Not new possessions ... but a new life.

My daycare career is history. I'm moving on. My past is my past. I'm moving on.

It's time to clean house. And make room for a new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment