Saturday, July 31, 2010

I Write Like I Dance

I was asked to help put together an article on dancing for "WHOLifE - Wholeness and Wellness Journal" this past week. As I was talking to the lady from our dance studio who helped to arrange this article to promote awareness on the many benefits of dancing (and a little advertising), she said to me, "I didn't know you were good at writing!" I just laughed and replied, "Well, I don't know if I'm good at it or not ... but I enjoy it."

It was after these words had time to settle, that I realized that dancing and writing are almost synonymous to me. Both activities breathe life into my soul. The only difference? I can write for free ... and alone.

And so began this blog.

No matter what surprises my budget throws my way, I can write. I can write any time I wish or not at all. There are no demands on my writing skills. I haven't taken classes (though heaven knows that I should) because perfecting the art of writing is not what I'm after right now. It would take away the spontaneity.

Writing and dancing are both therapeutic. They provide an outlet for whatever may be going on within.

Dancing provides many opportunities for laughter - laughter releases stress, strengthens the stomach muscles and releases toxins from the body. Dancing provides human contact, moving to the beat of the music and letting my feet & body do the talking.

Writing provides an outlet for whatever may be going on within. Sometimes I have no idea what my fingers will come up with when I sit down in front of an empty computer screen. There is a subconscious connection from my brain to my fingers. Sometimes I even surprise myself.

I profess to be nothing more than I am.

I am a person who enjoys dancing because it is fun. I like to to challenge myself - combining something that I love with learning has proven to be a mood booster for me. Becoming 'the best' is not what I'm after. I'm content with being the best that I can be.

I write for very similar reasons. I don't need to be a professional writer. I'm content with being a real life person who has stories and thoughts that others can relate to. The biggest compliment that I can receive is when someone reads something that I write and says "I feel exactly the same way!" If I can write something that makes someone 'feel' anything ... my work here is done.

It is rewarding for me when someone can benefit from something that I enjoy doing.

Am I good at writing &/or dancing? Good enough, I suppose. I write and dance because they are CPR for my soul. My only hope is that the enjoyment factor shines through. That defines success to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment