Friday, July 9, 2010

The 'Holiday-to-Work-Transition'

This holiday has been one of the most unplanned and uninspired holidays that I can remember. It's also been one of the best holidays that I can remember.

The holiday budget was nil this year. Even though I've had a few windfalls that eased the financial worries, my new reality is that I have worked my way back to the "working poor" status. I've been here before. It's not unfamiliar. But it's a world where I must respect my financial limitations.

My Youngest and I went on what most people consider a 'real vacation' last year. We travelled new roads, we saw new sights, we played tourist and spent a grand total of four whole nights in a hotel. We wound that up with an additional three nights at my mom's. My Youngest was so glad to get home, that the idea of going on a holiday isn't high on his priority list. Not this year, anyway.

My entire holiday itinerary consisted of a few gatherings at my house and to go out to Mom's. End of plan. It was a perfect way to go. Think small, do small and be happy with whatever happens.

Week #1 of my holidays was basically to consist of:
  • No school
  • No bookkeeping
  • No housework
  • No dancing (!?!)
  • No babysitting

I attained 100% success with the goals set out before me.

Week #2 was to ease back into reality. There are certain beginning-of-the-month tasks that must be done in my bookkeeping job. I asked if it was okay if I was available to work on the work that must be done for this week, and I would immerse myself into this new full-time role of bookkeeper next week.

So I have worked approximately 'half time' this week. Long enough to accomplish what must be done. Long enough to help my pay cheque at the end of the month. Long enough to appreciate the end of my short work day. Long enough ...

I went to my dance lesson last night. I was ill prepared and unpracticed (nothing new there), but my goal is to devote more time to practicing before my lesson. My instructor works with what he has, but we would accomplish so much more, if I worked at honing a few of the skills on my own. Last night was fun and easy. It was good enough ...

I have been cooking. Holidays equals 'no cooking' in my world. But this second week of half-holiday/half-work, plus the fact that I must be careful with my spending has equated into home-cooked-meals. It hasn't been awful. It's been pretty good, as a matter of fact ...

I have been mapping out the weeks ahead of me. Tentative plans have been made with several people. Something to anticipate. I find that I work harder and accomplish more, when I have to work around other commitments in my life. My heart is already pumping with anticipation as I see what is unfolding in my life next week. How will I accomplish all that I need to do and still have time for the fun stuff? Oh! Where there is a will, there is a way.

My new life is to be one of flexibility. I have a job, expectations and hours that I must log. But I can work my job around my life, instead of working my life around my job.

There is much to be done in my new full-time job. I believe that there is more work, than there is time in the day (at least for now, and probably for the next year or so). I anticipate that I will work harder than I've worked in a very long time. But the reward, is the fact that I am in control of the hours that I work. I can put in my hours however and whenever I want ... as long as the work gets done. This is exactly what I asked for.

I'm easing back into the real world and into my new reality. This second week of 'holiday-to-work-transition' has been a good one. I hope I'm ready for what's ahead

No comments:

Post a Comment