Monday, July 26, 2010

Because We Went to a Bad Movie ...

Life is interesting when you look at it 'backwards'. Due to an interesting sequence of events, we had a most excellent Saturday. And this is how it all started:

Last week, My Youngest and I went to see a movie. A very bad movie. But because we left the house, we ended up following a bus. A bus that had an ad for some restaurant that was known for its breakfast food. There was a picture of pancakes, sausage, bacon and eggs as big as life right before us. My Youngest immediately suggested that we should go out for breakfast one day.

Fast forward to Saturday morning. I stayed in bed a little longer than I usually do and in my wakeful moments of tossing and turning, I opened my eyes to see My Youngest looking in to see if I happened to be awake. The second time our eyes connected, he took advantage and asked, "Can we go out for breakfast?"

And we did.

Now ... because we went out for breakfast, I missed a call that would have provided me some much needed work. I could have went in to work Saturday morning, logged a few hours and come home to work at my bookkeeping in the afternoon.

So, I went about my day and eventually started working at my bookkeeping later on in the morning.

Because I missed that call, I was home when my sister called. They were in the city and asked if we would be interested in meeting up so that we could drive out together and see my Second Son's farm acquisition.

We met later in the afternoon and we had a most enjoyable visit out at The Farm. We got to see and enjoy the benefits of their new motor home. We visited, we forgot to 'leave' their home so that they could carry on with their holiday and my sister and her husband made supper for us in their home-on-wheels.

It was a perfect day.

We didn't get home until 10:00 that night and I immediately went to check the messages (my mom had promised to call me back that night to see how our visit went). And what was the first message that I heard? My 'second employer' ... a call that was made at 8:47 that morning. While My Youngest and I were out. I didn't even think to check for messages when we got home.

Immediately I felt awful for missing the opportunity to work and earn a little extra cash. I was bemoaning the fact when my Second Son replied, "If you would have went to work today, we wouldn't have gone out to the farm with Your Sister".

He was right. Because of a fluke of fate, the day turned out just the way it was meant to be. I couldn't have planned a better day.

And it all started because we went to see a bad movie.

1 comment:

  1. Very good analogy. I have often said people are always saying "What if..." after something bad has happened. I like to spin that around and say "What if I had left 10 minutes earlier for work today? Maybe I would have been driving through an intersection where someone at that exact moment ran a red light. What if I would have married that hot little number I met way back when? Would life be better? Maybe not. Maybe that hot little number and I would have produced a baby with down syndrome." You see where I'm going with this. I don't believe in fate, but I do believe that every time you make a choice, your life is altered.

    ReplyDelete