Monday, June 28, 2010

Where Am I ... and How Did I Get Here?

It wasn't quite as bad as that, but I had a 'moment' yesterday afternoon ...

I brought My Youngest with me, as I ran a few quick errands and fulfilled my promise to take him to Toys R Us yesterday afternoon.

My quick errands weren't all so quick, so when he asked if I could just drop him off at home before I went and picked up "two" things at the grocery store, I agreed.

My mouth said yes, but my unconscious mind was driving the car. The next thing I knew, we were headed in the direction of the grocery store - not home.

That isn't an unusual thing. Sometimes the unconscious overrules the conscious.

I apologized profusely and set my mind to get in and out of the grocery store as quickly as I could. And I did.

But ...

I paid for my purchases and stood in wonder. What door did I come in? Where did I park the car? Why didn't I remember parking the car??

I walked out of the front doors and was relieved to remember walking through them a few minutes prior. I stood outside the exit and tried to bring the memory of parking the car back to the forefront of my mind. It didn't come.

Thank goodness I'm a creature of habit. Where I park depends highly on the errand I have to run and the way I entered the parking lot. I'm also grateful for a relatively small parking lot and the fact that it wasn't very full.

I found the car (and My Youngest Son ... who is twelve years old and able to stay unattended in the car for a few minutes). But the memory of parking it didn't return.

I thought to myself "I need some sleep" ... "I need to calm down" ... "Or is this an 'age' thing??"

I was retelling my story to my friend a little while later and she just laughed. She said that happens to her all of the time. In fact, just recently she found herself on the phone calling someone. And when they answered the phone, she couldn't remember who she had called. She told them, "You're going to think I'm crazy ... but this is 'Lucille' ... who did I just call?"

They say it's ''all about the journey'' ... not the destination. So when you forget that journey and simply find yourself at the destination, you know you missed the best part.

It's time to relax. I'm missing out on the best parts of life. Oh! I am on holidays. So that is exactly what I am going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment