Wednesday, June 2, 2010

An Unexpected Reunion

Our family is blessed. In many ways ...

Mom had a little health scare in the wee hours of Sunday morning. And we were able to 'rally the troops' and walk her through the unknown.

Thankfully, the unknown was not any of the worst case scenarios that we had conjured up in our minds. I do believe that we all carried the feeling that 'it was going to be okay' ... but I also believe that we carried the knowledge that neither our mom, nor our brother should have to walk this path alone.

I'm grateful for the family that I have. We rally together in good times and in bad. We share the language of 'family'.

Alone, any one of us could have done what it took 'four' to do. But united, we were stronger.

My oldest sister led the way. She was the one that realized that Mom needed her family - her children. Our brother is the one who is there for Mom in all ways (he lives close by, while the rest of us live in a different province). He's the one that volunteers to help with little chores around the house. He provides a quiet strength in ways that he doesn't acknowledge. But as a mom-of-grown-sons myself, I know the sense of security that I feel just knowing that my children are a phone call away. Just in case. My Second Oldest Sister has been the one whose life afforded her the greatest flexibility. She rises to whatever occasion she is faced with.

I have sat back and marvelled at these siblings of mine. I have never really known my purpose in the family. I have always had so many commitments and ties that I've never been able to pick up and go like my sisters have. My sisters have rode out on their White Horse on numerous occasions. I have never been on a rescue mission with them.

Until Sunday.

I was part of a whole. It was the Three Sisters to the rescue. Each of us wondered what our role would be, but as the days played out with ease (thankfully) each of us stepped up to the plate and carried the baton for our part in the marathon.

Our unexpected trip out to Mom's ended up being a happy reunion. But no matter what we faced when we got there, we knew we would be stronger as a team.

Mom gave us the gift of her health. We gave her the gift of her family. Being there.

In good times and in bad ... we are a family united.

No comments:

Post a Comment