Saturday, June 26, 2010

Time For the Important Things

A friend suggested that we meet for lunch this week. My first thought? "Aaaak!! I don't have time."

And then I stopped. Sometimes when you think you don't have time, is when you need a break the most.

So we went out for lunch on Thursday afternoon. It was the best two hours of my week. A good friend, excellent company, a unique restaurant and oh, the food was good too.

I walked away from that little oasis in my week, knowing that it was the best thing I'd done in days. I relaxed. It was wonderful.

As soon as I set foot back into my real life back at home, the work began again. That was at 3:10 Thursday afternoon.

Friday was a chaotic day of one-thing-to-do-after-another. My Middle Son (my hero!!) came to my rescue and did a mammoth (does that make sense? HUGE!) amount of work outside for me. At one point we were in his truck running some errands and he said "We are going to stop for coffee. We both need to settle down for a minute".

Another forced work slow down. My wise son was right. We drank our coffee as we were on the move (driving to the next destination). But coffee never tasted so good. It felt good to sit back and pause for a few minutes.

Later in the afternoon, I heard myself saying "I haven't had anything to eat since I went out for lunch with (my friend) yesterday" (I don't count my morning smoothie as food, because I don't have to chew it).

I stopped. Long enough to eat a hot dog. And I was off once again.

Our dance studio is holding a Dance Camp this weekend. Three hours of dancing last night; three hours of dancing this afternoon; followed by a pot luck supper.

Three hours of dancing last night did my feet in. They were sore after one hour. By the second hour they were throbbing. By the end of the third hour, they were beyond aching. My feet throbbed all night and were still pulsating this morning.

So I sat one more time and paused. I loaded my vibrating foot spa with epsom salts and sat still and let my feet rest. My body, my soul and my feet all needed that time.

I'm still standing this afternoon. I don't think that I would be, if I hadn't taken time out for the important things. Important things like taking a break and breathing in the fine air of good company and a revitalizing rest period.

It is when you are busiest, that you need to stop the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment