Friday, June 11, 2010

Not the Evening I Was Expecting ...

I woke up yesterday morning with a spring in my step. There was a little piece of happy inside of me as I drove off to school and faced the day. Thursday. The day that ended with my dance lesson.

I put in a little longer school day yesterday, as I logged the last of my required hours for the week. Another little task that was wrapped up. A good feeling.

I came home and I didn't even think to check the call display on the phone. It was a short while later that I wandered into my room and noticed the answering machine was flashing. A message.

My dance lesson was cancelled.

Not to fear, I still planned on attending the group classes and I will end up with a one hour lesson next week instead. It was still all good.

Until, it came time to get dressed up to go out. Again.

I feel like life has been propelling me from one thing to the next lately. Not that I'm overwhelmingly busy. Not that I don't take quiet moments to myself on a regular basis. Not that I'm complaining. But ... I just feel like I haven't sat still.

I fantasized about an evening where I crawled into my pj's and snuggled up on the couch to watch a movie. The more I thought about it, the more I knew I wasn't going to make it to that group dance class after all.

I invited My Youngest to pick a movie to watch together. It took us a while to co-ordinate our lives so that we sat down on the same couch, at the same time. But we eventually, we got there.

It felt like a little piece of heaven.

And do you know who was happiest?! Our cat.

'Andre' loves when His Boy and I sit on opposite ends of a couch. He makes his presence known by leaping up and joining us. He shares the wealth of his company with both of us (but has a keen desire to snuggle up under His Boy's blanket). He purrs. Loudly. Eventually, he decided to settle right in the middle of his Two Favorite People in the World. And sleep.

Little kitty moans would escape every now and again. If there is a sound that I enjoy more than a cat's purr, it is those contented little kitty moans.

Then he would stretch. Just enough to reach out and touch His Boy. It's like he likes to 'hold hands' and feel the presence of The One He Loves. Then a little while later, he reached out his second paw. Just to feel a little bit closer.

I believe Our Cat thinks My Youngest is his kitten. He can't refrain from licking His Boy when they are in a relaxed state. It reminds me of a mother cat with her kittens. It doesn't matter if it's a hand, an arm or a head (though he really does like grooming His Boy's head of hair). Andre seems unable to refrain from tending to His Boy. He just loves him. That's all.

I love evenings like this. Almost as much as dancing ...

No comments:

Post a Comment