Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Laughter

"Laughter is an instant vacation." ~Milton Berle

I love to laugh. I love that my life is full of moments that make my heart sing and that laughter comes easily. I love that when I replay conversations in my mind, I hear laughter.

I love hearing others laugh. The only thing that I truly remember about 'Shrek 2', is my brother's laughter as he sat a few seats away. I can still see, hear and feel my adult children's laughter as my mom has shocked us with some of her revelations.

I think back on most of the moments that linger in my mind. Most of them are interlaced with laughter.

My sisters and I have made the five hour trek to see or meet up with our mom on several occasions. It never seems to fail, we arrive at our destination laughing. I can recall one of the (many) times that my sisters came to me when I was in a time of crisis. And we laughed. One sister commented that it seemed wrong to be laughing ... but if we weren't laughing, we would have been crying. We chose laughter.

Laughter among tears. Deep and thought provoking conversations with friends have been full of moments like that.

In the soundtrack of my life, I hear laughter. Good things are better when they are enhanced with laughter.

I am blessed to have a nephew who is a professional comedian. He tours Canada and the U.S. ... he has starred in two movies ... he's a local celebrity ... and he's related to me. We went to see him perform last night and it was perfection.

It's one thing to humor someone you know well, but my nephew has taken that fine art and honed it so that 'the world' can laugh right along with him.

It's a mighty fine feeling to know that I have comedic genes in my blood.

"Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward." ~ Carol Channing

No comments:

Post a Comment