Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Energized By Working ... Who Knew?

The past several days, I have faced my demons. I've had work to do ... and I've done it.

The amazing thing? It has energized me. I have wasted so much energy not doing things, that I have been feeling exhausted. Avoidance and procrastination are the biggest energy drains in my life. And I have complete control over those things.

I am taking a 'Workplace Success/Intrepreneurship' course at school right now. I am loving what I am reading/learning.

The chapter that I was reading at the time that my brother sent off his inspiring email about 'The Path of Least Resistance' was on Job Stress and Time Management. This lesson was full of little morsels of information and advice. Sometimes a person just needs to read the words to activate what you already know.

Two ways of approaching what you perceive to be a difficult task:
  1. Consider the task a challenge. Tell yourself you are going to experience a great sense of achievement when it is done.
  2. Break the task down into small sections and work on a small portion each day ... Reward yourself every time you complete a section.

My reward system seems to involve Pringles (but whatever works) ...

I have accomplished one step of a mighty job. I have succeeded in crossing a few medium-sized jobs off of my eternal to-do-list. I am eager (I am not exaggerating here ... I'm actually eager!!) to get back and tackle the second step of the twelve step bookkeeping job that has been haunting me for (close to) three weeks now. Eager!!

I was telling my boss yesterday that the most discouraging fact about completing this task at hand, is that there are at least half a dozen more equally daunting jobs to face, when this one is complete. Since she is my partner in our endeavor to get this work done, she could completely empathize. There is nothing more assuring than having your supervisor on your side, when you are feeling overwhelmed.

Many little factors came into play at the same time, to help me get beyond the paralysis of procrastination. Now, the key is to go from here.

There is a temptation to dive into many things right now. I have only so much energy to expend, so it is wise to direct it to the tasks at hand. But energy begets energy, so I have a very good feeling about the direction my life is headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment