Monday, June 21, 2010

The Benefits of Dissatisfaction - A Small Rant

I have been highly annoyed with (what used to be) our friendly neighborhood WalMart store. It has gone from bad to worse.

Our WalMart used to be a friendly, neighborhood store. They have picked up stakes and moved halfway to the next town. They are on a stretch of a highway that I have no need to travel. There is nothing out there. I hate going out of my way because I usually try to run errands in an efficient 'circle'. This goes out of my circle. I hate that.

But ... there are things that still draw me out to the boondocks and make me think that I can try and get used to the idea of this 'WalMart Super Centre'.

I walk into that massive store and I am instantly grumpy. It's too big. I can't find things. And when I do find things that I need help with, I can't find help. It's like going on a scavenger hunt. Sometimes I find a few things ... and then there is the checkout. Oh. My. Gosh. Lineups!?! I have walked out of WalMart empty handed more times than I can count since the Big Move. I hate it!

I keep trying to like it. The prices keep drawing me back. In fact, it has become the cheapest place for me to shop. I pick up what I absolutely need and dash out of there as quickly as possible. There is nothing I like about that store.

Friday, I had several items to seek out and buy at the Super Sized WalMart. It was the middle of the day. I thought it would be a good time to try once more. There was a list of things that frustrated me to the point that I put my articles back on the shelf and I unapologetically walked out of the store without buying one single thing.

And where did that lead me? To a nice bunch of Canadian owned stores. Nestled together in one parking lot. I found better prices, better service and a nice, convenient location a few minutes from home.

Thank you, WalMart. You have saved me a fortune since you moved to your Super Centre Half the Way to Nowhere. I used to walk into your store with a list of two items and come out with twenty things. Now ... I walk into your store with a list of five things (because I rarely go there anymore) and walk out with four to none.

I calculated the difference of what I used to spend at WalMart, verses what I spend now that they have become One Great Super Centre In The Middle Of Nowhere. I now spend 76% less. Not because of your super low prices. Because I just don't shop there anymore.

You have helped me promote the Canadian economy. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment