Saturday, May 1, 2010

Planning 101

It's time to make a plan and stick with it!

The instability of my bookkeeping job has not been conducive to living life according to a schedule. It's kind of nice to have some flexibility in a job, but too much is a dangerous thing.

I love, love, love the flexibility that my school allows. I must put in a certain amount of hours per week, within the hours that they are open. I can put in more hours if I wish. I've been able to work in three separate weeks of holidays, as long as I fulfill my school hour requirement before (or immediately after) I take the time I need.

It's important to have 'minimum requirements' and it is truly a bonus when there is some wiggle room as to how you attain that. Too much room equals procrastination.

I can work at my bookkeeping seven days a week, 20 hours (I'm not crazy ... need to sleep!) a day if I want to. Too much room to put off until later, what I should be doing right now.

I am starting to work on another family history book. I have a self proclaimed deadline that I plan to attain. I need that. But in the mean time, I tend to think "I'll work on it when I have time." I never make the time.

I am (supposedly) my Middle Son's bookkeeper for his new business. He's been in business for one month. I have figured out the computer accounting program that I hope to use to keep his books. I just have to sit down and do the work.

I have a lot to do. And here I sit. With my coffee ... blogging all about it. Doing nothing.

Yesterday was a productive day. I worked nine hours at my bookkeeping job. They are under the gun to get one year-end wrapped up so that they can deal with the next year-end (at the end of this month). My abilities are limited, but I'm ready, willing and able to do whatever it takes to get the work done. So yesterday, I worked feverishly at the tasks at hand. I cleared the slate so that I am ready. And it felt good.

Last night was supposed to be devoted to dealing with my Middle Son's books. I was going to sit down at the computer and work at it until it was done. But ... going out for a cup of coffee sounded like a better offer. Besides, my neck was stiff and I thought that I should get out of the sitting-at-the-computer position. Sitting-and-having-coffee uses totally different neck muscles.

This morning, I promised myself that I would work at my family history project for two hours. Then two hours later in the day. Repeat, as necessary until the job gets done.

I presently have two bookkeeping jobs. I should be finished my schooling by Christmas. My goal is to complete my dad's family history before Christmas. It's happening. Room is being made for great things. I can't wait to see what life has in store after I wrap up a few unfinished tasks.

Oh ... the plans that I have! They are grand. I just have to do the work and attain those goals. I have a feeling that great things are ahead. All I have to do is follow through with my plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment