Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day 2010

Today was a day like any other. Nothing extraordinary because it was mother's day. But it was extraordinary because most of my days are like this.

My family knows that cooking is not one of my all time favorite things to do, so they do suggest that we eat out. Often.

Not because it's Mother's Day. Just because.

My kids treat me very well and respect me. It is in the small gestures. The way they talk to me, include me in their lives, listen to me and simply by being the people they are.

Not because it's Mother's Day. Just because that is who they are.

My family has learned not to make a big deal out of Hallmark days. This year was no different. There were no cards necessary to tell me what I already know and feel.

There have been years that I wished for a card ... or a phone call ... or some small gesture to give me a sign that underneath it all, there was 'something' there. Not this year. This year, I yearned for nothing more than I already have.

As today unfolded I realized how unremarkable this Mother's Day was ... because every Sunday has turned into Mother's Day in our house since we started our Sunday supper ritual.

To my three sons ... "Thank you!" It was the best Mother's Day ever. Our family is 'one'. We stand united when the chips are down. We can look back and laugh ... we can reflect and gain some understanding ... we can look ahead and dream. The past has made us into the people we are today. We've travelled through some rough territory, but adversity builds character. I love what we have built together.

Not just because it's Mother's Day. That's just how I feel. Every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment