Monday, April 12, 2010

Who I Want to Be When I Grow Up

Yesterday, I met a someone who inspires me.

She is 84 years old and lives independently on their family farm. She has built a home full of memories. To quote her: "What good are pictures if they are all stuck in a box?"

Her eyes twinkled and sparkled as she talked about family, friends and old memories. Names, incidents and details came to her mind with ease.

She gave us a guided tour of her home, lovingly decorated with photographs and memories. Everything has a story in her home ... and she vividly recalled many of them as we walked down memory lane yesterday.

Family comes first and there was a special glow that washed over her whenever she spoke of her children, grand children or greats. But there was also a special bond for friends and neighbors.

We were welcomed into her home with a hearty dinner (otherwise known as ''lunch'' to us city-folk ... but this meal was a full 5 course dinner). We spent the afternoon reminiscing. We gazed out her kitchen window and admired the chickadees and talked of the many birds who come to call.

We admired her yard - a yard that you can picture full of people. It is set up to accommodate many. A fire pit surrounded with permanent seating; a few sheds that house all that she needs to entertain, "Everything we need is out there; we don't even have to go into the house!"; a mini golf area. It is a yard that is lovingly tended and meticulously groomed.

Her coffee pot was full upon our arrival and empty when we left. At the onset of our visit she told us that she always makes a pot of coffee and more often than not, someone will drop by and help her drink it.

This is 'who' I want to be when I grow up (yes ... I'm still growing). A person who has filled her heart and home with happy memories. I want to be someone who draws people into my life. I want to build a home to accommodate guests and gatherings. I want to put on a pot of coffee each morning and believe "If I make it, they will come ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment