Monday, April 19, 2010

Viennese Waltz

I have a bonus dance lesson this afternoon (to make up for the lesson I missed a few weeks ago). My instructor gave me a mission. To bring my favorite Viennese waltz music along with me today.

He asked if I had a favorite song for the Viennese waltz we are starting to work on. I stood there, speechless (this is very rare). Every new song that I hear that has the quick 123 timing of the Viennese waltz is my newest favorite. He seemed a little surprised that I didn't have a favorite at the tip of my tongue. Probably because I brought in some music a short while ago and among other songs, my newest favorite Viennese waltz music was on the CD. I swoon when I hear this song. And this one ... and this one.

Then I got researching the proper speed of the Viennese waltz because this one and this are my mom's favorites, but they seemed a little too fast. Well! Researching the number of beats per minute of the Viennese waltz sent me to a website where it listed even more Viennese waltz music. I lost an afternoon of my life listening to all of my new favorite songs.

I heard this song and I was breathless. Until I found this one. I thought I was done ... but then I heard this oldie and I was swept away once more.

I made up a CD with all of these favorites. I played them. All weekend. Every single time I heard one of the songs, I would think "Definitely! This is the one. This is my most favorite." Until I heard the next song ... and so went hours of my weekend.

It was magical. This music gets into my soul and makes my heart sing. How can a person not want to dance when you hear music like this??

I have started to wonder if I love the Viennese waltz because of the music ... or if I love the music because you can dance the Viennese waltz to it. It's kind of like the mystery of which came first - the chicken or the egg? It's a mystery that I will ponder each time I dance or each time I hear the hauntingly beautiful music of the 123 tempo of my favorite waltz.

Then I began to ponder when this passionate love of this music/dance began. I have started to wonder if my mom danced, sang and listened to this music while she was pregnant with me. To feel this music as such a part of my soul, it feels like it has been within me longer than I have existed. It is intoxicating.

What a wonderful way to lose yourself. Music that touches your soul. A dance that captures the essence of what you are feeling. And I must thank my dance instructor for giving me this mission. I cannot decide which is my favorite. But I've had fun amassing a collection of my favorites.

It was a weekend lost in music. I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment