Friday, April 2, 2010

A Piece of Magic

It worked. Much to my mom's amazement ... she felt a piece of the magic that I feel at the dance studio last night.

I had my fears. I thought that I had pushed too far. I was afraid that the gift of a dance lesson was taking Mom too far out of her comfort zone. Her words were not entirely frivolous as she spoke of her discomfort about taking advantage of the gift I had offered. My gift of hoping she would experience the magic I feel during my dance lesson.

We walked into the dance studio and my dance instructor took over with ease. He treated my mom the way that I knew that he would. He made her feel comfortable. He did what I was unable to do with words. The magic of dancing ... the magic of knowing exactly what to say and make her feel comfortable.

I have had a hard time coming to terms with my invincible mom slowing down. She's been a vibrant source of energy throughout every memory that I have. She often talks about herself as a child ... as a young girl ... and as she grew up and into the spunky mom that I know and love. I've seen her stand up and face whatever life throws at her. She has been an unending source of encouragement and support. She has an inner fire and spirit that has melted the years away.

I wanted her to feel what I feel, as I have let myself be enveloped by the magic of the dance studio. I feel ageless when I waft about in the company that I keep when I dance. I believe that dancing has given that to me.

I knew the years would melt away when she got wrapped up in the spirit. I pushed this 'gift' at her. But I was becoming uncomfortable with her discomfort. We agreed that we would just go with the flow once we got there.

And she danced. She warmed up to the music that was being played at the time. She got to dance to one of the songs that has a special place in her heart. She danced some more ... and then it was my turn. We danced to another one of her favorites ...

As she was being introduced to the other instructors at the studio, I was reminded (in jest, but also with sincerity), that I was reneging on the gift that I had wanted to give my mom. Although my instructor brought me back to reality and asked my mom to dance another dance ... I infringed on the gift that I had so wanted to give. I danced too.

Mom insisted that watching my lesson in progress was a gift in itself, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I should have insisted that the lesson end with her having the last dance. How could I get so caught up my own enjoyment that I missed that moment??

We got home and she told me that she was very glad that she went. Yes, she could see how I feel the way I feel about dancing. The feeling within the studio, the entire staff and students and my instructor.

My instructor. I will never forget my first dance lesson. I had to sit down and have a chat with myself afterwards and remind myself that it is his job to make people feel the way that I felt before, during and after that magical lesson. I have watched him over the years and he treats everyone the same way. An intuitiveness that can't be taught. A gentlemen of all gentlemen. You can't help but feel good when you are around him.

There is more ... learning, laughing, enjoying the spirit within the walls of the studio. Getting to know the students, feeling part of a group and losing yourself in the moment. I feel ageless when I dance. And I got to give my mom a small piece of that magic. I just wish that I had given her more ...

No comments:

Post a Comment