Thursday, April 22, 2010

Little Bonuses

It never fails. It seems that (almost) every time I become realistic with my spending/budgeting, a small bonus comes my way.

I believe that I simply appreciate a small amount of money because I have respected my financial limits. A cheque that would have been quickly consumed in a Time of Great Spending ... becomes a bonus.

This epiphany about my frivolous spending has come to light a few times lately. Both times, it was because I was spending cash ... not credit.

I had just received one bonus cheque when the motor on my (quite ancient) dryer died. If I had simply gone out and bought a brand new dryer, I would have used my credit card and dealt with the repercussions later. Instead, I made an SOS call to an appliance repairman. It didn't take him more than three minutes to make his prognosis. It was fatal. The motor had died.

I sat down and did the math. I had to pay the serviceman for his house call anyway. That would have been money down the drain if I didn't replace the motor. I considered myself lucky, because they don't make motors for my dryer any more and he did have a used one on hand.

So, I used half of my windfall to cover the dryer repair and put the other half towards paying down my mortgage (paying off The Great Dance Adventure of 2010 overspending).

Then ... I got my income tax refund. The government has been demanding that I pay them money at this time each year for the past decade. In all actuality, I should have had the money that I usually owe them saved up (it is worked into my budget), plus the income tax refund to equal a tidy little sum. Once again, The Great Dance Adventure gobbled up the excess. But ... I still had Revenue Canada's cash on hand.

Initially, I thought that I would use that little cache to indulge myself in my frivolous spending (eyelashes, nails, hair and maybe some clothes). Then ... (once again), I did the math. When I added up the cost of these items that are truly unnecessary and subtracted them from a finite amount of dollars, it equalled stupidity. What was I thinking?! Yet again, if I had simply used my credit card I would have spent first and worried later.

Again, I put (a little more than) half of Revenue Canada's gift towards my mortgage. I still have my (less than) half of that amount sitting in my account. I get to update my spring/summer wardrobe in lieu of fake lashes and nails. A much better investment.

I was sitting here, feeling quite happy with my new found grip on reality. Spending cash verses credit is an eye opening experience. I have lived a little too long in my fantasy world. I can still hear Wilma and Betty (on the Flintstones) saying "CHARGE it!!!", as they raced out on a great spending spree. Yes, blame the Flintstones. My parents certainly never taught me to be this way.

I retrieved yesterday's mail and saw an envelope with my name on it. I thought to myself "That looks like a cheque." A cheque from a company that normally bills me? What's with that? It took a few minutes for it to sink in. It was a health insurance benefit where I had recently realized that I could make a claim. I spent the money last summer and didn't realize that I had (a small amount) of insurance coverage for the cost. I had forgotten that I had even sent off the claim. And voila! A portion of the money that I spent almost a year ago found its way back to me.

I had an appointment with my eyelash lady this afternoon. My insurance claim would have covered the cost. But since I cancelled that appointment, that money is mine. To spend as I wish!! My budget is stretched a little thin this month so that amount will go towards groceries. Groceries that I want on hand to host a small gathering this weekend. Eyelashes verses a family gathering? Family wins!

Our credit society is dangerous thing. One can get in over their heads far too easily. As my Middle Son quoted a comedian in saying, "I need (insert dollar amount here) to pay off my debts. I need (same amount of money) to be broke!!"

Isn't that crazy? If all we do, is work hard to bring ourselves back up to ''zero'' ... to be broke, where is the incentive? As Wilma and Betty may say (in their frustration of living beyond their means), "CHARGE it!!" And our habit of overspending is perpetuated.

I believe that is why I can get so excited about my small boons when they come after a time of realizing my financial limits. All of a sudden, that money is real. It doesn't disappear into the abyss of debt. I don't need it, to become (less) broke.

It is nice to be in a place where even finding a five dollar bill is truly a gift. Cash verses credit? Wilma and Betty ... you steered me wrong! "CASH it!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment