Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Change of Pace

My daycare days have become very quiet. I have one child that comes before and after school every day. The others? Not so much. One family needs me before school, from Tuesday to Friday. Another family only needs me after school, and they give me their schedule at the onset of the month. The last family? I have no idea when they need me. It's truly hit and miss. Even when they do have a schedule, half of the time it is changed. Such is my life.

My child that comes regularly, actually comes every day. Rain or shine. There are very rare occasions when something changes that routine. But they are far and few between.

His arrival times vary but nine times out of ten, I am racing around frantically after his mom leaves to get myself out the door at the same time as the kids. My start-time at school is flexible. There is no need for my frenzy. But I do it anyway. I have a schedule in my mind that I want to follow.

His departure times are late. He stays about two hours longer than everyone else. Two hours to play outside by yourself isn't very fun. So we stay inside and I am often restricted as to what I can do because of what he may be doing. Book keeping may wait; errands may have to be frantically run after he's gone; I hate making supper at the best of times but it doesn't help when I don't know when he will be picked up. Many, many small little things. It basically boils down to the fact that I can't relax, work or pick up my own life until he is gone for the day. I get paid for that. That is okay. But it is nice when I get a little break in the routine.

He is on holidays for the rest of this week.

I am revelling in the idea of these free hours before supper. I could run errands. I could go back to school for a few more hours. I could work at my book keeping. I could cook supper and eat when we want to eat.

I have three days to savor these two bonus hours. It's a small thing, but it's a change of pace. A welcome little reprieve tossed into a regularly scheduled day. It's nice to have routines. That way you can really appreciate life's little bonuses.

Six hours. I hope I make the most of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment