Monday, April 26, 2010

Best Laid Plans

This past weekend had been mapped out ahead of me. I knew what was going to happen and when. I knew when I had to work in my bookkeeping, my shopping, my preparations for company. It was neatly mapped out in my head.

Then life happened.

Within 15 minutes early Friday morning, the sequence of events was shifted. I was thrilled that my new life afforded me the luxury of changing plans on a moments notice. When all that had been so carefully planned started to fall apart, there wasn't one instant when I didn't believe whole heartedly that it wasn't going to work. I trusted that there was a 'bigger reason' behind the minor upheaval to our plans. And I was right.

I met up with the family of Dad's oldest brother. Our plan was to collect memories, stories and information about their dad to add to the Book of Memories I am compiling for Dad's family. The ultimate purpose of our gathering was to 'Remember George'.

What happened without design or forethought, was the fact that we happened to gather on the anniversary of the day my uncle died. 30 years ago. Four of his children and his first wife sat at a table and remembered their dad and their lives. We paid tribute to their dad on a date that had a history. A memorial to his life. It was beyond special ...

I ended up staying much later than planned. I am not a night traveller, let alone comfortable with the idea of driving on an isolated secondary highway riddled with pot holes and the possibility of deer darting out of the ditches unexpectedly. But knowing that my aunt and uncle would be following that same road home, as well as having a cell phone (and cell phone coverage out in that area) I bravely set out on my journey home.

What I didn't expect was the cloak of protection that I felt all around me as I turned onto that highway. This happened once before ...

I moved my family to a new city shortly after my dad died. Throughout that time, I felt dad's presence around me. But it was on that final leg of the journey ... as I drove my children and my sister's oldest son on that five hour trip to our new home, that it was most prevalent. I nodded off to sleep as I drove. Thankfully, I woke up to find myself between the yellow lines on the highway. It was then ... that I truly felt that Dad was with me. Gently guiding me, keeping me and my family safe, keeping the car on the road and nudging me awake. It was so real.

Friday night, I turned out onto that pitch black highway and I felt enveloped in safety. It was so real that I felt like I could reach out and touch it. I still took every precaution to ensure I made it to my destination safely. But at no point, did I feel uneasy. I felt my dad and my uncle along with me every step of the way. Just like when I was a little girl and I knew that I was safe with them as we travelled that very same road.

It was a day that I'll remember forever. But most of all ... that presence of my dad and my uncle on that trek home was a gift beyond words.

No comments:

Post a Comment