Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Soundtrack of Our Lives

I planned my funeral yesterday ...

The father of a friend of mine passed away last week and I instinctively felt that I should attend his memorial service. I have a connection with this family that exceeds one blog post. It simply felt like the right thing to do.

I have now been to a grand total of five funerals in my life. I don't have a great deal of background knowledge on the subject, but as I sat alone throughout the service (I didn't know a soul except for the grieving family) I thought about my own inevitable demise and eventual good-bye ...

Music.

My life is a soundtrack. There have been songs that have touched me in a way that makes me think 'that is a song that I would like to play at my funeral'. There are songs of family, love and friendship that speak the words I can't and hypnotize me with their melody. A simple piece of music with a catchy melody and words that tell the people in my life how I feel. In the quiet of yesterday, I had a new thought. A soundtrack of the music that I've danced to at our showcases. Yes. Music is key.

Pictures.

There was an enlarged photo of the deceased at the front of the church. It was a lovely picture. When I saw it and thought of my own funeral, I immediately thought that the picture that I would choose, would be one where I was dancing.

There was a slide show of pictures at the end of the service and it was perfect. I love how photographs take you back in time and capture precious moments. It was poignant and told a story without words. Pictures that made you reflect, smile, tear up a little ... and the last photo made you laugh and cry all in the same breath. Yes, a short slide show of my life is on my list. With that 'soundtrack of my life' in the background.

Memories.

Short and to the point. Light, touching and humorous would be on the agenda. I told this to my Second Son and he immediately agreed that he had some humor to add to the occasion.

The most touching of all of the funerals I have attended, was a very small gathering of family where they sat together and shared stories. This family wasn't outwardly religious but they had a nondenominational 'person of faith' lead the informal service. In my eyes, it was a touching good-bye and tribute to a loved one. To be surrounded by those who loved this person and hear their memories in such a casual manner ... was perfect.

I don't plan on leaving this earth for a very long time. In the time between now and then, I shall be very conscious of living a life worth remembering.

As I embark onto my next Life Project (the wheels are turning ... April 25th may be a day of importance ... plans are being made!), I am looking back and collecting memories of those who are no longer here to tell their story.

In my quest to put together the story of my dad's family, I have spoke to all of my uncles. Dad isn't here to tell me his story, which makes this process very near and dear to my heart. Dad has an older brother that predeceased him. It is my hope that I can gather his children together for a day where we can sit and collect his memories. It's in the works.

Music ... photographs ... memories.

I may not be able to add a soundtrack to the eventual book that I plan on amassing from my memory gathering. But if this project works out as planned, you will hear it playing in the background.

The soundtrack of life is that which is always playing. The words, the sounds, the breath and the heartbeat of our life is forever running throughout our days here on earth. Those who have great talent can put this to music. Me? I shall try and put it into words ...

No comments:

Post a Comment