Monday, March 22, 2010

Out With the Orange ...

The shocking carrot orange highlights that are a big part of The Great Dance Adventure of 2010 are but a memory.

Ever since my return to the real world, I have wanted to tone down my brilliant hair. My truest desire was to have my hairdresser tackle it, so that I could try for a different look. But cheapness prevailed. If I settled for a haircut only (until my roots started showing signs of gray), I could still afford to get my nails done.

Yes ... I hate to admit it, but I kind of enjoy some of this girly girl stuff. My excuse is, that my nails were looking tacky as they grew out because of the glimmer nail polish that was applied. I am hoping that a plain 'French manicure' will be more natural as my nail grows. But really? I think I just wanted to relive some of that primping that was involved in preparation for the dance competition. It was kind of fun.

The more I thought about my orange hair, the more concerned I became. I wanted to buy an $11.00 box of hair color and just deal with it myself. But I wasn't too sure how the colors would be absorbed with these highlights. What if I did something that made me stand out even more than I already did?

So I did nothing.

My hairdresser said that I could choose a brunette color and that should work. My nail lady said that the dark part of my hair would go darker, if I chose a dark color ...

I hummed and hawed and finally took the plunge and bought a "medium amber copper brown'' color-in-a-box. My hope was to turn my orange highlights to copper (and not turn my dark hair darker).

That box of hair color sat on the bathroom counter top all weekend. My orange hair kept taunting me. I just want to stop wearing black (the only color that goes with orange) all of the time!

Last night, I took the plunge.

I'm sure a professional job would look better, but for the meager price of $13.99 (it must have been on sale the last time I bought it) ... I can wear colors once again.

That said ... this blog can be filed in the 'Things That Really Don't Matter' file and forgotten. I guess it was a slow news weekend (though I almost conquered the book keeping that was weighing me down yesterday ... and that's just a tad more boring than writing about my hair).

No comments:

Post a Comment