Saturday, March 6, 2010

One Half Hour

It's 30 minutes of my week. But its effects last for days. My dance lesson.

The absolutely best part of all of the preparations for Montreal were the extra dance lessons. I do question what I absorbed during those extra 90 minutes per week (upon viewing the videos taken at the competition), but it was fun while it lasted.

That half hour flies by. It is so fun now, as we are working on some routines for the next dance showcase. I am excited to try whatever assortment of patterns that my instructor has in mind. He comes up with a lot of fun stuff. Most of it challenges my brain and body skills ... I master very little of it with the technique required to make it look easy and effective. But I love it.

It is the laughter and the fun-factor that I love. Add music and dancing to that and it is amazing. Then toss in my dance instructor who is charismatic, easy-going and good for my soul and I'm back on my cloud.

I've watched my instructor spin his magic with many. He is so in sync with the personalities, insecurities and levels of ability of whoever it may be that he is dancing with, that he brings out the best in everyone. I have seen his partners light up and magically transform as he works his charm and his most excellent dancing abilities.

As I waded through the photos that were taken while we were in Montreal, I marvelled at the way each of our instructors worked with us, encouraged us and and those 'looks' in the photos of each of them with their students. The smiles of encouragement, the eyes and the unspoken words.

The smiles of one student in particular was from the heart and soul. I love that smile. I looked at her instructor and the smile was mirrored back in a harmony that spoke volumes.

'That' is what my instructor does for me. We dance, we laugh and I learn a little bit along the way. The words of encouragement, the smile and the laughter. They echo in my mind for days afterwards.

It is a 30 minute investment. But the rewards of that half hour? They endure for days ...

No comments:

Post a Comment