Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Change of Plans

I woke up this morning, with a nonsensical post-about-nothing rambling through my subconscious mind. I won't go into details because I may write about it another day.

But then ... I followed the link of a comment that was made on a blog that I follow. Ella's Last Blog was titled "The Comment That Took My Breath Away" (the blog has been deleted since I added this post).

Others have gone through the unthinkable and back again. Time and time again, I walk away after glimpsing a piece of another person's life and know that I must live a more conscious life.

I must weigh my words carefully before I speak. "Everyone has a story" ... you just never know what impact a careless phrase may have. You just don't know (nor could you possibly guess) the history of every person who crosses your path. I do try to be cautious with my words. But I also know that I talk too much, too fast and too often without thinking. I will be more careful.

I must continue to appreciate all that is good in my life. I do believe that I do that rather habitually. I live a very happy little life in my bubble of gratitude and looking on the bright side. In fact, yesterday I marvelled at this little piece of 'happy' that has become part of who I am. I am grateful for this inner contentment. It is a gift.

I help myself by helping others. Any time I start losing that glow of 'happy' ... I realize that I have withdrawn within myself once again. I need to put myself out into the world of others, to live the fullest life that I can. The more you give, the more you receive.

"Do 10 Brave Things Before Lunch" was a little mantra that one of my hairdressers had. I've written about this before ... but those brave things can be as simple as waking up; eating breakfast; and having a shower when the going gets rough. I know that I have to do the 'hard things' first thing in the morning. The hard work just gets tougher, the longer you wait. Ella ... has promised herself to do one brave thing a day ...

I was reminded of all of that and more, after I read 'Ella's Post' this morning. But the saddest truth of all that has upended Ella's world? The fact that a drunk driver was at the root of her heartache, pain and loss. One careless act by one person has changed her life forever.

Even if we can't always live every moment being conscious and aware of the impact of our words and actions ... one thing that every living soul can do? It's simple. Don't drink and drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment