Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Wide Eyed Innocence of Children

I have developed a small crush on one of the gentlemen at our dance studio. It all started at our Christmas Dance and it's only gotten better since then.

The One Who Has Captivated My Interest may only be 8 years old ... but he has qualities that older men should watch and learn.

He is who he is. When he's nervous, you know it. When he's happy, you know it. And ... when he's dancing with you, you know it's because he's in a competition with his older (9 1/2 years old) brother - to see who can dance the most in an evening.

My heart was happy when I saw him running towards me at our last dance, to ask me to dance. Yes, I knew he was back in the running to see if he could win the prize for dancing the most. Yes, I was one of the few girls that was sitting down so his choices were limited. But the excitement, the happiness. I like it!

Our Two Young Dancers have been coming to our group dance classes regularly and as we switch partners often, I have had a few more opportunities to have snippets of conversation with this Young Man.

Kids. You've gotta love them and their complete and utter honesty.

We were dancing one time and he looked at me and without preamble, he asked if I was married. I told him that I wasn't. To which he responded "So why are you wearing this, then?" (pointing to my ring). I told him that it had been my mom's. Ahh! "So she gave it to you, right?" Right.

I smiled as I retold the story to My Instructor and was quickly brought down to earth as I found out that this is his way. He asks everyone if they are married. I was still smiling when I heard this heartbreaking news. It is because of that honesty.

Why aren't adults like that? They hedge and wonder and often miss opportunities because ... they don't ask.

As these Young Gentlemen grace us with their presence in the dance studio regularly, it lightens my heart. We develop so many insecurities, masks and preconceptions as we mature. So much is to be learned by watching those younger than us ...

Speaking of these young men, they are also at this dance competition and they danced on Friday. They had many fans on the sidelines and I am thrilled to be one, among many!

Dance on!! (and keep your wide eyed innocence too).

No comments:

Post a Comment