Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Daytime Heroes ... Reunited!

I was in heaven yesterday. Rosie was on Oprah ...

'The Rosie O'Donnell Show' and 'Oprah' were two staples in my life when I was home on maternity leave 11 1/2 years ago. Rosie made me laugh. Oprah made me think. Life was good. Life was very, very good.

Then Rosie wound up her show and I had absorbed all of the wisdom that I could absorb from Oprah for a while and we all parted ways.

I was thrilled when Rosie returned to daytime television on 'The View'. I enjoyed listening to her view on world events, her passion made me feel some of what she felt and I truly admired the fact that she stood for what she believed in. The world needs people like that.

Then I drifted back into Oprah's world for several seasons. Once again, I heard what I needed to hear. I was inspired, uplifted, motivated and a lot of positive changes in my life are a result of Oprah's show.

As I dove into a new life this fall (a life where I didn't have the time to be watching a lot of TV), I stopped taping 'Oprah'.

After watching yesterday's show, I realized just how much I missed my two favorite daytime TV hosts.

What I enjoy about Rosie, is the deepness that lies underneath her comedy. She was candid and honest about much-talked-about events of her life. There is far too much publicity about things-that-don't-matter in the lives of the rich and famous. I admired the way she spoke about some of the controversial events in a way that were honest, yet she didn't put anyone down in the retelling of the stories.

I was spellbound, as Rosie and Oprah bounced their words off of each other. The interview, the wording of the questions, the way one topic segued to the next, the ease they appeared to have with each other ... and the laughter. It is the laughter that always speaks to me the loudest.

My brother has a talent for putting words together in a most unique and special way. He is deep and introspective then ... whammo! He has you laughing. You laugh harder because a millisecond before that, you were close to tears. It's a talent. Rosie's made millions off of her humor. My brother has his own set of fans much closer to home. The ability to laugh through the tears is key to survival. At least in my world.

As the hour of Rosie on Oprah wound to a close, I realized what has been missing in my life recently. Thought provoking conversations.

My thoughts are too 'all about me' lately. People in my life have granted me a wide berth as I have tried to take on a few new challenges and spent all of my energy on coaxing myself forward. My conversations, my writing, my thoughts ... are too internal.

I love when I'm inspired and motivated by the world around me. It is truly the best way to live. Absorb the good around you, take an interest in the outside world and all of the people in it, learn from the bad stuff, absorb the good stuff, help when you can and say 'yes' to life.

I haven't done that in a while. I wish that Rosie and Oprah could team up together again and push me through this spot.

I just might have to do this on my own ... but in the mean time, I believe that I will tape the last part of Oprah's final season. I will learn what I can, while I can ... from one who has inspired me so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment