Tuesday, December 22, 2009

School Break

Ahh ... the life of a student! My last day of school was Friday and I don't have to return until the New Year.

My last dance class was this past Thursday. Not quite the same feeling of relief, but there is something to be said for a few weeks without evening commitments.

Yesterday, I had a chance to revisit my 'old life'. My life of daycare and book keeping.

The daycare part of that equation has been severely down sized. I have one child to tend this week. One! My Youngest took him under his wing most of yesterday and I tended to other things.

I logged an 8 hour book keeping day. I finished making the infamous 'Wreath Cookies' (my most unfavorite Christmas task of all). I called a friend.

As the day wound down, Second Son returned from work and was content with what I had in mind for supper. Then my Firstborn stopped in to fix the downstairs computer (yes, we are very spoiled ... but my book keeping work monopolizes my need for the upstairs computer, so we are eternally grateful a second one) and stayed for a quick visit.

I was in perpetual motion all day. I went from one task to the next with ease. I accomplished everything I set out to do in the day. It's been a very long time since I've been able to write those words.

Second Son's decision to move in this past weekend put me into high gear. I had thought I would putter around and empty out that room during the Christmas holidays. Instead, I accomplished what had to be done, in an afternoon.

I have been wading through my days with a great deal of effort for the past long while. I am so grateful that I've moved into a higher gear.

Long term goals seem to encourage a lethargy within me. I need the adrenaline rush of a do-it-now task. I thrive on that feeling of accomplishment. And I haven't felt like I have accomplished half of what I have set out to do for a very long time.

I'm looking forward to this holiday. I am not quite certain what it holds in store but I know that I'm eager to wake up each morning and face the day.

It's nice to take a break from the rigors of school life ... so I can concentrate on other things. I was ready for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment