Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Little Things

When there appeared to be daylight peeking in, through the closed blinds early this morning, I knew it could mean only one thing. Snow.

Yes, I had some shovelling to do this morning (nothing compared to what many parts of our continent are facing, so I'm not complaining). It was still snowing as I shovelled, so the job isn't over yet ...

I have had my fair share of walking to do in the winter time ... the year we were without a car; the years that I tromped through the snow with kids in a stroller and at my side as we walked to and from school; and the winter that I had a paper route.

Due to my experience with walking in the snow, I like to shovel all of the walks that surround me. I often shovel in front of my neighbor's houses and the walkway that runs beside my yard. I'm of the thinking that maybe these people will pay it forward and help keep their neighbor's walks clean as well. Anything to make the lives of mail, paper carriers and anyone else that must walk throughout the winter a little less cumbersome.

I've done this for years. Every time, thinking of the years that I waded through snow drifts and hoping that I was making some one's walk just a little easier.

This morning, as someone walked through the walkway adjacent to our yard they asked me if I was the one who kept the sidewalk clear. I admitted that I did my best ... and they thanked me.

Two words. What a difference it made, as I faced the task that was set out before me this morning.

It is the little things in life that really count.

No comments:

Post a Comment