Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Dancing Without Music

We had a silent dance lesson last night. It was a unique experience.

Normally, the music plays loudly and we dance to the beat of the song that is playing. My instructor teaches as we dance to the music and there is a lot of laughter. It is an fun and upbeat half hour.

I have officially decided to participate in an upcoming competition. I've never done anything like this before. I have only the barest grasp of an idea of what lies in store. All I know for sure, is that there is a lot of work to be done between now and then.

Our dance showcases are not competitive. It's like a dance recital where each of us is on display but there isn't any scoring or competing going on. The only competition is within yourself. And it is truly just best to relax, do the best you can and have fun.

A competition is different. We will be on the floor with several other couples and there is a scoring system. There are rules and regulations and you are ranked in comparison to the other couples in your category.

My instructor tells me that the ranking is the least of his worries. He assures me that dance competitions are much less stressful than the showcases because we are never out on the dance floor alone. Our goal is to dance according to the rules set out before us ... and smile.

Last night, my instructor's goal was to decide what dances we will be working on for the upcoming competition. It was down to the business of making those choices and not wasting a moment (finding the right music selections takes precious minutes away from a very brief 30 minute lesson).

I'm wide eyed in anticipation (and fright) for what lies ahead. If it was only the dancing to worry about, I'd be okay. It's all the other stuff ...

The arrangements that must be made so that I can go, the organization and ensuring that I remember to take everything I need to take. The costumes, shoes, hair, nails and all that girl-stuff.

Then there is the money that will be spent. I can't even think about that right now. I had it all planned out but one part of my plan isn't working very well (that would be the part where my book keeping job pays for my living expenses ... but that hasn't happened for a few months), so it has me a tad nervous.

I have a lot to learn in the next few months. I'm afraid that preparing for this competition may be a lot like dancing without the music. We can go through the motions ... but it just isn't quite as much fun.

Despite the quiet dance lesson, the financial worries and the fear ... I think this is going to be an experience of a life time.

The music is playing in my mind ...

No comments:

Post a Comment