Sunday, December 20, 2009

Blemishes of Life

When I was younger, my complexion mirrored the stresses in my life. If several pimples erupted overnight, I could often name them with a specific dilemma that I was facing at the time.

The past little while I've had a surge of complexion woes. Three blemishes appeared out of no where. As I have done in the past, I could name each one of them - Montreal, Christmas and Microsoft Access (the latest course that I was tackling at school).

I could almost feel Zit #1 wither up and die as I confronted my Microsoft Access exam on Friday. This program was completely foreign to me and understanding the first few chapters was like reading Greek. Once I finally got some of the terminology ingrained, then I had to learn how to work with it. Frustrated and overwhelmed, I plunked myself down in the coffee room one day and declared, "I hate Access!" We had a round table discussion on this particular course and I felt so much better knowing that I wasn't alone.

Friday was the day that I wanted to write my Access exam. If I didn't have two weeks of school holidays to forget everything I had tried to cram into my brain, I would have delayed the inevitable. But I knew that I couldn't do that. I had to bite the bullet and get it over with.

I did it. And I did fairly well. My first pimple disintegrated.

Yesterday, I noticed my reflection and the other two inflammations were still basking in their glory. One, in particular. I call that one "Christmas" ...

No matter what I do, I don't seem to feel the joy of the season this year. Yes, I have found an overwhelming cheer within me ... but it has nothing to do with the upcoming holiday event. I am giddy with happiness over what I call my 'life'. Christmas? Wake me when it's over, please.

I think there is a quiet cautiousness within me because there are many people in my life that have suffered more than their fair share of trials and tribulations this past year. Christmas seems to magnify what is great ... or not so great in your life. Many people I know will be going through the paces of the season. Their 'first' Christmas of a new life that wasn't of their choosing. Families in distress are stressed out even more.

I attacked my Zit-Called-Christmas last night as if opening the wound would help it heal faster. Sometimes there is just no easy way to heal ...

Last of all, I have my Montreal Abscess. This one is subsiding on its own accord.

This week, I voiced the words that I was not going to worry over this extravagance that I have afforded myself. Talk is cheap. But I kept repeating it over and over. And by golly, I think it's working.

I am looking forward and feeling the anticipation starting to surface. There are many details to be tended to and a lot of work to be done. But suddenly, I can envision myself standing in the airport awaiting our plane's boarding time. We will soar into the skies and I can feel my heart pumping with excitement. Five entire days to hang out at a dance event and leave my day-to-day life behind me.

I'm not flying away from anything. I am in awe of what my life holds in store for me. I'm living in the present and savoring every moment that I have with my family.

My family. My three sons. We are one. I've waited a long time for this feeling. And I'm over the moon.

My family is the 'beauty spot' of my complexion. My family is something that accentuates me and my life. It is a mark of honor that I wear with pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment