Saturday, December 5, 2009

Backed Into a Corner

I think we all have a strong survival instinct within us. It is human instinct, to fight to the finish.

My mom often recalls the mighty battle that she witnessed between a mouse and a cat when we lived on the farm. This mouse was a goner no matter what he did, but he was not going down without a fight. I remember Mom's admiration of this brave little mouse that wasn't going to make it easy for the cat, who was simply playing with its food before he sat down to savor his meal.

I can remember being at a point that I would have done whatever it took to keep my children safe. There were no limits as to what I would have done to protect my young. That mother bear instinct runs deep. Just put three 'mother bears' together who are each fighting for their children. Been there, done that. It wasn't pretty. But we were all fighting for the same thing. Our children.

There are many battles that we face in our lives.

The sibling rivalry that seems to arise whenever there is more than one child in a family. Maybe those confrontations are necessary to teach us how to stand up for ourselves in future life situations. We learn some lessons about our own limits and those of others as we 'wage war' with our siblings.

There are the bullies we meet as we go through life. Those who push their way through to get at the front of the line and some that relentlessly tease those 'weaker' than they are. We get older and there are those that will do whatever it takes to get to the top of the corporate ladder and neighbors that push the boundaries.

We learn as we go. We find out what our own limits are and we know when we must take a stand. It's good to know your own limits ... and the limits of others.

When you feel backed into a corner, it is natural to fight back. You do what it takes to take control of the situation.

But when the other party is backed into their own corner, war is declared. And "war is hell" (someone else's words).

I am on the sidelines of a battle where I can see no winners. It's a hard thing to watch, but it is not my place to jump into the middle. It is my tendency though.

I wish that I could plop myself in between the enemies and have each of them look at things in a way that was non-confrontational. I have a feeling if both parties didn't feel backed into that corner, they would both be willing to each give a little, to come to a compromise.

A compromise is the only way to win.

There are no winners in a war. No matter what, once arms are drawn there are casualties on both sides. Signing a peace treaty is the safest way out.

I'm hoping for a speedy resolution. But in the back of my mind, I am picturing that mighty little mouse fighting for all he is worth. We are all capable of doing battle when it comes to what we believe in.

I'm not cheering for a winner. I'm rooting for 'world peace'.

No comments:

Post a Comment